'Emmilee & Harry' - Request

It was your last major league softball game for the year and you were freaking out about stepping up to the plate. Harry was unable to make it to the game as he was on tour in Japan, but he had apologised constantly up to the point where you had threatened to hang up the phone if he continued. Your team was currently in the lead and being the last batter, it seemed the weight of the whole game was on your shoulders. You needed to get your teammates home and if you could, yourself.

‘Calm down Emmilee, you’ve done this hundreds of times before.’ You muttered that to yourself with each step you took up to the plate. The whole crowd was cheering and yelling encouragement, but it made you more nervous. Taking your stance at the plate, you took a breath, and a deep one at that. You could have just unknowingly sucked all the air out of the universe in an attempt to calm your nerves. You looked up at the pitcher. She smirked at you and before you knew it, the ball was flying at your bat. You couldn’t process the speed in time and the ball flew past you, into the mit of the girl behind you.

‘Ball!’ You half turned your head and looked at the umpire who had called it. You needed to focus. You turned back to the pitcher in time to see her preparing her throw. This time, your bat connected with the ball, and it sent vibrations up the bat through your arm. You dropped the bat and ran to first base. Your foot touched the tip of the base and you were about to make your way to the next base when another foot connected with yours and you were tripped. You flew forward, colliding with the dusty dirt. All around you people started crowding in.

‘Em, I think you need to sit out. Looks like that fall really hurt.’ You looked at your coach and smiled.

‘I’m fine. Really. See?’ You stood up and as you put pressure on your left leg, you whimpered. Your coach eyed you. ‘Just please let me finish the game?’

‘I don’t know… I don’t want you getting badly injured…’

‘I’m fine!’ Your coach stared at you for a moment of nodded.

‘I won’t stop you from playing, but just remember whose idea it was.’ You smiled and hobbled back to first base. The umpire blew his whistle and motioned for the first base fielder to substitute with someone as they were to sit out for foul conduct.

The first batter of the game stood back up to the plate, as a last effort to get everyone home. They hit the ball far, and you ran. You passed second, then third and finally home. Your team had won, and you collapsed onto the ground clutching your ankle. It stung and was swelling up.

‘Emmilee, do you need a lift home after the ceremony?’ You looked up at your friend.

‘That’d be great, thanks.’

The ceremony lasted an hour, and you remained seated the entire thing other then when you retrieved your medal. When you were dropped home, you limped into your kitchen, searching for anything cold to put on your ankle to help the swelling. As you were in the freezer, your phone started ringing. It was Harry, presumably calling to find out how the game went.

‘Hey Harry.’

‘Emmilee! How’re you babe? How’d the game go?’

‘It was good, we won!’ You grabbed a packet of frozen peas and slid to the ground, pressing them to your ankle. You winced.

‘Are you alright?’

‘Course. Why do you ask?’

‘You sound kinda… strained? Did something happen?’

‘No.’

‘Don’t lie to me Em. Tell me what happened.’

‘I, er, tripped and sorta maybe kinda twisted my ankle or something. I don’t know exactly but its swollen. But really, it’s nothing.’ He didn’t say anything for a moment you just heard muffled talking.

‘Well I’ll just have to see for myself, because I don’t believe you when you say it’s nothing.’

‘Harry, you can’t, you’ve gotta stay in Japan! You can’t drop everything for me!’

‘Yes I can, and I will. Besides, we’re leaving Tokyo tonight and heading to Australia. But in between then, we have a week’s break. So, I’ll see you later tonight love.’

‘Har-‘ But the phone disconnected. You sighed and crawled into the living room, curling up on the couch with the make-shift icepack.

You must have drifted off to sleep, but you woke up to the sound of the front door opening. Lifting your head off the pillow, you saw Harry’s face in the entryway. He dropped his bag when he saw you and walked up to you smiling.

‘Record timing I think.’ He grinned at you, obviously proud of how quickly he got home. You smiled and sat up patting the space next to you, encouraging him to sit. Instead, he flipped the switch to the lamp and kneeled in front of you, examining your ankle. He pressed his fingers softly just below your ankle and he frowned when you winced.

‘Really Harry, its not that bad…’ You sentence was left unfinished as he glared at you. You watched as he left the room and came back a few moments later with a bandage. You started to protest but he just shook his head. You had to admit, he knew how to wrap a bandage because it eased the pain the tiniest bit. When he finished he kissed you ankle and sat on the couch next to you.

‘Can I tell you something Emmilee?’

‘Go ahead.’

‘It kinda makes me sad when you won’t tell me what’s wrong.’ You frowned, hiding your face.

‘I’m sorry Harry, I just don’t want you to worry and I don’t want to ruin things for your career by making you come back here to look after me.’

‘Em, yes my career is super-duper important, but so are you and I can always find a way to make things work. You make me worry more when you don’t tell me, and then I think it’s something I did, and it gets me stressed and then eventually I’ll have to come back to find out what it was you wouldn’t tell me. So you see, there is a simple solution to this. Don’t keep things from me. I care about you, and I love you, and I don’t like it when you’re upset or hurt. So make me a promise? You’ll tell me when something’s wrong?’

‘Promise.’ He ginned at you and leaned in for a kiss.

‘Thanks lovely.’

‘And another thing, I love you too Harry.’ He grinned at you and pressed his lips to yours.

--------------------

A/N;

This is about softball, for any of ya'll that didn't understand that. Thats what she requested, so that's what i attempted. I'm pretty proud of myself :') For Emmilee25 x

© All Rights Reserved.