Chapter 7: Shameless

Start from the beginning

"Derek's alright, I mean-"

"Alright?" Sydney laughed.

"Says the girl who can't keep her eyes off him in Trig class."  Dasha cut in.

"You practically drool over each other in class, Kerri."  Allegra said looking back at me.

"Yeah, he totally likes you..." said Sydney.

"You think so?" I asked. I needed confirmation. I was sort of bad at telling if a guy liked me or not.  Can't say that for Mr. Leto.

"Yea, totally."

I giggled to myself.

Mr. Leto's eyes glared at me through the rearview mirror. His eyes were steaming, like the smoke coming from a overheated teapot. If looks could kill, I'd be out for the count.

My eyes widened as round as saucers in shock to his reaction

My eyes widened as round as saucers in shock to his reaction. With nowhere else to look, I turned my face to the window, hoping that in some way that could hide my face from the others.

"Kerri, you okay?"

Oh, crap.

Allegra turned her body around as she stared at me in concern causing the others to soon chime in.

"What's up Kerri?" Dasha placed her hand on my shoulder, further stirring the pot of sudden worry.

I was caught. I knew it. The gig is up. I tried to open my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. I didn't know what to say. I mean, what could I say? Well, Allegra, I can't begin to think of Derek because I'm still shook from what I did with your father last night... while you were sleep.... upstairs in your house ...

This is worse than I thought. 

I sat there, utterly speechless, rambling  through my inner thoughts.

"I think someone's a little nervous." The tone of Sydney's voice jumped up two octaves as she nudged my shoulder.

I stared bewildered at the turn of the events. Honestly, I thought I was cold busted for sure this time. My butt was officially saved by the unexpected. Thank God, someone broke the never-ending silence. I didn't know what I would have said.

I nodded my head, hoping they didn't catch my hesitation. And of course they didn't because the car swelled girlish giggles and grins from ear to ear.

"We knew it!" yelled Allegra, hopping up and down in the front seat.

I could feel Mr. Leto's eyes piercing my skin. How are we not in a car accident yet? It's like he's not even watching the road! I darted my eyes quickly at the rearview mirror amongst my friend's excitement to find I was right.

"Just exactly who are these 'boys' that are going to be hanging out with you all?" Mr. Leto raised an eyebrow as he stared at the road. His tone was firmer than usual.