15.

15.

After a while I had no choice but to get up. Everyone kept coming in my room every five minutes to tell me to get up. Jack was here every day and all day. His five o'clock shadow was prominent and his accumulated dark circles. He didn't say anything, he just stared at the wall in a trance. I didn't mind him though. He sat in the chair next to the hospital bed. He slept in here, brushed his teeth in here and showered here. I didn't mind him though. I appreciated everything he was doing but I told him from the beginning he didn't need to do this, I guess he didn't care or was hard of hearing. He sat in the chair and held my head sometimes and just stared off into the distance. I would've liked to know what he was thinking but it probably wouldn't be anything interesting. My parents came by twice a week to see if there was any improvement. They would ask me about Jack, who he was and why was he still here. I didn't answer, I just looked at him through the window.

My nurse came in giving me my wheelchair and wheeling me to the door. I started walking down the hallway. I set goals for myself to go further each day. I was starting to run of breath. My nurse Margie gave me the look I'm too familiar with.

"What?" I asked huffing.

"Child you know what, sit your but in this chair." Margie had some leniency to calling me child. Margie was 42 with two kids. We've gotten closer over the last couple of months.

"You know my goals; I'm not stopping until I get to the other end of this hallway." I said in one whole breath. She nodded and stood against the wall with her arms folded. By this time Jack had stood up, waiting to catch me before I fell. I waved him off trying to tell him I was fine.

Jack ran over to me, knowing my limit before I could. "So I guess you forgive me for throwing mashed potatoes". He laughed shaking his head. "Can't stay mad at you forever." I smiled sitting back into the wheelchair. I was pushed back into my room where me and Jack talked for hours. I don't know what got into him but he was talking up a storm and I enjoyed it. The silence in this room was starting to get suffocating.

//

"Are you ready to go home?" I shrugged, I had gotten so close to everyone here. I got to see the craziest incomings and I was cool with all the surgeons. I don't know how because I was only here for seven months. I gave Margie a hug, thanking her for all she did.

"If you ever come back, I'll always be your nurse, I'll miss you child." I smiled. I didn't want to leave but I had to. I turned back to Jack and he had all my things ready. I feel like god gave me something good and I shouldn't waste it with this one. I nodded at him showing I was ready to leave. He gave me a kiss on the forehead, escorting me out. I waved at everyone ready to start this new day.

~

I had a different version of this but I had to restart my computer and it was gone. the other one was going to be better and longer, I couldn't think of anything else. this one is bland and ugly, I'm sorry y'all

xoxo urban