1: Day of Origins

They lay in the harbor, their long, sculpted bodies rising and falling on the gentle swells of the sea. There were seven of them, their elegant heads turned towards the distant horizon as though in anticipation. The skies themselves were awash with pale streams of orange and soft pink that bled into the sea so that there was no sea at all but sky both above and below.

Pausing on one of the white, stone walkways that ran beside the docks, Kavin Shoriasti cast his gaze down at the restless boats. He saw them once every year, but, no matter how many times they came and went, their beauty never waned. Gold gilded feathers and glistening, plated scales swept along gently curving sides. Proud heads were raised well above the lapping waves, their painted eyes bright.

"You thinking of volunteering, Master Kavin?"

Tearing his eyes away from the bay, Kavin nodded a greeting to the speaker. "No. They'll probably need me on standby anyway, if tradition holds."

"I suppose they would at that," the man agreed, heaving the two bulging, cloth sacks he was carrying a little higher up on his shoulders. "Origins always brings in the business."

"Indeed," Kavin replied, voice dry and eyes darkening. "Not that the incursions aren't doing that already."

This elicited a startled then guilty look from the older man before he glanced away. "Sorry, I wasn't thinking—just thought..."

Kavin cut him off with an upraised hand. "It's all right. Just forget about it. At least I know I'm doing some good."

The problem was that there was only so much any one person could do, and it didn't change the fact that things were getting worse. Even here in the heart of Kwair, a city that had always been protected by the presence of the largest of the Skylin Temples, tension ran under the surface of the streets and swords hung at almost every side. It was enough to make any healer wince.

"Well, if you ever need a break, you're welcome to come by and have a drink. Mali'd be glad to see you too."

Kavin felt a smile tug at the corners of his mouth. "I will keep that in mind."

"Good. I'll be on my way then. Got to get the shop ready for the festivities." That said, the man waved and left. Kavin watched his retreating back for a moment before, with one final glance towards the boats in the harbor, he too started down the wide, flagstone streets.

A bamboo dragonfly went spinning past over his head, its two painted wings whirling into a single unending circle. A pair of laughing children came chasing after it with their eyes glued to the little toy and no mind for anything else. Kavin could see a bruise darkening on one child's knee, but the boy himself didn't seem to have noticed.

All around him, the city was beginning to wake. The scent of fresh baking seeped into the air from the myriad of bakeries and household windows scattered along every street to stream through the skies alongside the vivid banners bidding the old year farewell and welcoming it back as it was born anew. Beneath the tantalizing aromas and dazzling colors, the city folk hurried to arrange themselves, their homes, and their wares. No shop would be closed this day, and even the most unskilled of trade masters would be presenting their masterpieces. Above them all, the distant roof of the SkylinTemple loomed white and blinding as it snatched at the light of the rising sun.

Turning down a side street, Kavin ducked under a string of paper lanterns, the familiar route home drawing his feet onward despite the call of the holiday wind. Catching sight of the young man sitting on his doorstep, he sighed and picked up his pace.