"I don't want to intrude."

"You wouldn't be. If you're worried about that, why don't you just ask Maya what she thinks?"

"Maya?" Nick calls as I hear footsteps getting closer to where I'm standing.

My eyes widen, and I rush into the bedroom and plop down on the nearest chair. I try to slow my beating heart. I look around for something that I can be pretending to look at, but I find nothing, so I just look down at my hands and pretend to be examining them.

"Maya? You want to tell me why you're staring at your hands?" Nick asks.

I look up and see him smirking in the doorway. I raise my eyebrows and reply, "I was just looking at my fingernails. I really need to get them done."

Nick shakes his head. "You and I both know that you don't get your nails done, but I'm pretty sure eavesdropping on a conversation is closer to something you might do."

Despite my best efforts, I smile slips onto my lips, and I ask him, "How did you know?"

"I heard you rushing to the bedroom, and I also knew that something was up when you were sitting here without doing anything," he replies.

I shrug. "Well, I can't say that I learned anything particularly interesting."

He smiles. "So, does this mean I can join you and Mr. Erickson for dinner?"

I smile back and stand up. "Only if you don't tell him I was eavesdropping."

Nick holds up his hand as if he's taking an oath in a courtroom and replies with mock seriousness, "I solemnly swear to not tell Mr. Erickson about you eavesdropping."

I smile at his oath to me for just a minute before my face falls as the events of the day come back to me, and I sit back down with a sigh. Nick senses something is off because he walks over to me and bends down so he can be at eye level with me. He has his sweet smile on his face, along with a comforting and apologetic look. I wish I would stop noticing His smile. After him leaving without explaining the truth, I shouldn't even be noticing him, yet I am. 

"I didn't mean to bring that up. I'm sorry. How about we go eat?" he apologizes tenderly.

I give him my best smile, ignoring my thoughts to not let him get close to me, and push him, causing him to fall on his rear. "Sounds perfect. Let's go."

I walk past him sitting on the floor with a slightly shocked face, and he asks me right before I leave the room, "Aren't you going to help me up?"

I laugh and turn back around to look at him. "I think you can do that on your own."

"In that case, let me return the favor," he replies with a twinkle in his blue eyes as he stands up and moves to grab me.

I laugh and hurry away from him. Unfortunately he's bigger and faster than I am, so he catches me as we reach the living room. He wraps his arms around me and begins to try to bring me down to the ground. I laugh, and I see my uncle looking at us at the doorway and shaking his head at our childish game.

I laugh as I beg him, "Okay, I'm sorry! Please let me go! I'm hungry!"

Nick laughs his deep laugh that warms me and then slowly lets go of me. I shove him quickly before grabbing my purse and heading to the door. Uncle Sam smiles at me and opens the door. He holds it open for me, and I hurry out of the room because I know Nick is right behind me. Suddenly, I feel a finger poking my side softly but annoyingly.