Chapter 29

I freeze at the sound of that voice, not trusting my own words. I never thought I would have to hear that voice again. Now that I've heard it, I'm reminded why I've wanted to never hear it again.

"Don't you have anything to say to your dad?" my father asks me, his voice sending so many shivers throughout me that I have to sit down on the side of the dirt path just a few yards away from the house.

I take a deep breath and manage to steadily reply, "How did you get this number?"

"I see that you still have that same disrespect you treated me with. I'll quickly fix that. Anyway, I'm calling to tell you that you're expected to come to New York City in the next couple of days. You're needed in court. It looks like my case has been reopened, and I need you here to defend me," he tells me in his same menacing voice.

My stomach fills with butterflies as I say with great effort, "W-why would I want to help you?"

He laughs one of his all too familiar evil sounding laughs. "Because, if you don't, I'll make sure your life is miserable. I may not have freedom to personally do it, but I have still have friends who will do exactly what I tell them to do, starting with dealing with my stupid step-brother. He's been meddling in my affairs just like your mother did, and I'm not letting that happen."

My words catch in my throat at the mention of my mother and Uncle Sam. I manage to squeak out, "No."

He lets out another laugh. "Be in New York City on Friday by twelve o'clock. Court starts then. The address of the place is being emailed to you. Be there, or you'll regret it."

I don't have time to reply because he hangs up. I drop my phone back inside my purse and sit, frozen. I'm too afraid to move. He shouldn't have such a hold over me after such a long period of time. I don't understand why I can't just break free from him. I finally slowly rise from my position on the ground. I have to get back to the house, but I can't let Emma see me in such a daze.

I take a deep breath and try to place his words in the back of my mind. I slowly walk toward the house, a slight breeze blowing against my body. Now, the dusk seems to carry sounds of harm with it. I shake my head. I can't let him have power over me. He has no power over me. I am stronger than this.

With this resolution in mind, I step inside the house with a smile on my face. I walk into the kitchen but don't see Emma. I then walk into the adjoining dining room and see her sitting at the table, staring at her laptop. She's wearing her pajamas, and she's wearing glasses with her hair in a messy bun.

I clear my throat, and she quickly looks up. "Hey, Maya. How was the play?" she asks as she closes the laptop.

I sit down across from her and carefully yet cheerfully tell her, "It was really good. The acting was pretty impressive, and I could tell that they worked really hard on it. Everyone there loved it."

She smiles. "Good."

"Um," I say as I shift in my seat, "when did Uncle Sam leave?"

She looks down at her watch. "Right after you left the house, so I guess about two hours ago. Why?"

I stand up and shake my head. "No reason. I was just wondering. Well, I'm exhausted, so I'm going to go to bed. I have to be at the festival grounds again tomorrow. Goodnight."

I go over to Emma and give her a warm hug as she replies, "Goodnight, Maya. I'll see you in the morning."

I nod and go up to my room. I slip off my clothes and place them in my hamper. I quickly put on my pajamas, wash my face, brush my teeth, and get into bed. I use my remote to turn off the lights. I slip under the warm covers and rest my head on my soft pillow. I close my eyes, but my mind drifts to my father, making me toss and turn for a little while.