Chapter 12

My stinky life didn't get better over the next week. At the house, my uncle seemed to stop trying to talk to me, while Emma kept trying and trying. School was horrible as usual. Cassandra wouldn't leave me alone, and she began to spread rumors about me because I took Nick on the tour of the school.

That brings me to another horrible part of my week; Nick stopped talking to me. In fact, I didn't see him during the whole week. As mad as I was, I kind of missed him. It's weird that I might actually enjoy someone, but I can't lie that he kind of amuses me and brings me a small amount of hope that things will get better.

When a few days went by without any appearance by him, I knew that something was wrong. Another day went by, and I found myself upset. Maybe I'm stupid, but I thought he would come back and talk to me like he did the last two times. Him not talking to me for the last week takes away some of the hope he makes me feel.

This explains why I'm standing in front of my mirror, examining the outfit I'm wearing with a critical eye. I stare at the ripped black jeans with the coral top. Not only is this outfit way different than my usual outfits, it shows that I might have actually put in a little effort to my outfit, and it's still comfortable.

"Maya, will you come down for a second?" Emma's voice calls.

I sigh and grab my phone from my bed. I turn my bedroom lights off and walk down the stairs. I walk into the kitchen and see Emma standing behind the kitchen island. I reluctantly walk over to her and sit down across from her.

"Yes?" I ask, trying to sound bored.

"I just want to tell you that I'm sorry for stepping into the whole thing with your uncle. I know it's not any of my business, so I'll try to take a step back," she tells me.

I sigh and give her a look. "What's going on?"

"What do you mean?"

"Something is up, and I want to know what. I'm not a charity case or little kid. I can take whatever you throw at me," I tell her.

She sighs. "Your uncle left for New York City this morning. He wanted to see you before you left, but he thought it wasn't a good idea. He even told me to not say anything to you, but I couldn't help myself. Maya, he cares, and I know he really wants this relationship with you."

I sigh again and stand up from my seat and walk toward the front door. "I'll be back before curfew," is all I say before walking out.

I hurry down the path and find myself looking around for Nick. I don't see him anywhere, so I just walk toward the general area where Alli told Nick her house was. I figure I can find the her house without a problem. I'm right.

As I get to her neighborhood, I see a few cars parked in front of one house, and the front door is wide open. I see a few people inside, but it's enough people to make me freak out. I slowly walk up the sidewalk and pause in front of the door.

All of a sudden, Alli runs up to me and gives me a very large smile. "You came! Oh my gosh, I thought you weren't going to show up when Nick got here, but you did!"

"Nick's here? And he told you who he is?" I ask her.

She just smiles and leads me inside. "Yes to your first question, and no for the second. It's pretty easy to tell that he's Nick Caldwell when his face is clearly visible. Oh, and don't worry, everyone here is really nice!"

I can only nod, but she doesn't seem to mind because she just keeps smiling and begins to introduce me to some of the people. Alli tells me they're all from school, but I don't remember seeing them. Then again, they're probably the smart kids who don't usually get involved in school matters.