Chapter 7

For the next week, I ignore my uncle and Emma. It isn't very hard because they barely say anything to me. I take that back. My uncle barely says anything, unlike Emma. She's begun to get really annoying because she acts so cheerful and happy all the time. How in the world can anyone be that positive?

I guess that's why I find myself in a bad mood as I stand in front of the high school building with a frown on my face. I pull my hood up and walk up the stairs to the entrance. I push open the doors and find myself walking once again under the stares of the other students.

I hear snickers and rude comments as I walk past the jocks with their cheerleader girlfriends, some of the nerds, and some of the other outcasts. Everyone is classified under a certain category, and I hate it. I don't even belong with the "outcasts" because I'm so despised.

I walk into history and sit down in my seat. I get my notebook out to write down a story idea since nobody else is inside. Soon, the classroom begins to fill up, and I find people staring at me. I hear even more whispers.

Somebody sits down next to me, and the person taps my arm. I ignore the person and sink down into my chair. The tap comes again. I ignore it. The person taps me again. I sigh with irritation and turn to look at the person who's bugging me.

"What?" I ask the girl staring at me who has nerdy glasses and strawberry blonde hair.

"She's not in a good mood today. I'd take the hood off if I were you," she says kindly.

I roll my eyes, but I take her advice and pull my hood down. I smooth my hair and wait for class to start. The girl taps me again.

I turn and look at her and realize that she's the one who helped me the other day, so I tell her, "Look, I don't know why you somehow think I want to talk to you. Actually, I'm just trying to help you. I promise you don't want to be associated with me. Plus, I don't trust anyone in this school. Would you please leave me alone?"

She doesn't speak, so I think I've gotten her to stop annoying me, but she soon speaks up and says cheerfully, "Luckily for you, I don't trust anyone here either. I'm pretty sure nobody can tell me who to hang with and who not to hang with."

"I just told you," I mutter.

"And I ignored your warning. I understand you probably don't want to associate with a classified nerd like me, but I think we could try," she whispers.

I roll my eyes and don't respond as the teacher walks into the classroom. She begins class, and I'm thankful for the escape. I no longer have to talk to that girl. She obviously is new since she doesn't understand the way this school works with all the cliques and such, and she's too nice. How many people do you meet that are that friendly without having some ulterior motive? Plus, I can't even remember her name.

When class is over, I stand up and begin to hurry out of class alone, like usual. This time, I have someone following me. Wouldn't you know? It's the nerdy girl.

I feel stares as I walk in the hallway with her chasing after me and calling, "Maya, please."

I stop and turn to face her with a glare on my face. "How do you know my name?"

Unlike most people, she doesn't back down when she sees my face. "Look, I know you don't know me, but I promise I'm being sincere when I say I want to hang out with you and get to know you."

I'm surprised at how sincere she actually does sound, but I just simply say, "Whatever."

She opens her mouth to speak, but I walk away before she has a chance to say what she wants to say. She doesn't bother me for the rest of the day, making me extremely grateful.