Chapter 11

I turn my head and see the nerd girl standing beside our table with a pencil and pad of paper in her hand. I quickly turn my head so she can't see me. Luckily, Nick starts to rattle off his order, so she doesn't see me. That feeling of relief lasts for about two seconds.

"Maya?" Alli asks, shocked.

I slowly turn my head and flatly say, "Hi."

"Wow, I never expected to see you here. Though, I'm glad I get to see you again before school on Monday. I want to ask you a question. Before I do that, what would you like to eat?" she rambles.

I give her my order, and she leaves to give the order to the kitchen. Nick gives me an amused look, and I just scowl at him. He laughs at my scowl, making me scowl even more. Alli comes back with our drinks and then leaves again.

"So," Nick starts with amusement in his tone, "I didn't realize that you had a very cheerful friend. How could you keep that a secret from me?"

I roll my eyes. "Please, I met her about the same time I met you. Plus, I didn't remember her name until she just today when she introduced herself."

"Maya Walker has a best friend who is completely opposite from her. Who would've guessed that you hang out with the cheerful and optimistic people?" he teases.

I take a piece of ice out of my cup with a spoon and then throw it at him. "One more word, and I swear you will die."

He just laughs and wipes the ice off him. "I'm paying for your food, remember?"

I sigh with exasperation. "Whatever."

Throughout the meal, we bicker back and forth. I can tell he's enjoying the bickering, which makes me even more irritated. But, I soon find myself sort of enjoying it too, and I have no idea why.

"And here's your bill. I hope your meal was satisfactory," Alli says at the end of the meal.

"Thank you very much, Alli. How, why don't you ask Maya what you wanted to ask her while I figure out the bill," Nick replies cheerfully.

I scowl at him as Alli excitedly says, "Definitely! Okay, Maya, I was wondering if you want to come to a party I'm having next weekend. It's going to just be a few people, and there will be lots of food and good conversation. It'll be extremely casual, too. Plus, you're welcome to bring your boyfriend."

"He's not my boyfriend," I immediately answer.

She looks at me and then Nick, and then back at me. "Oh, I'm sorry. I really thought y'all were together. Whoops."

I kick Nick's leg because I see him trying to hold in his laughter. "Yeah, and I don't think I'll be able to make it to the party."

Her face falls for just the slightest second before she replies, "Maybe some other time."

I'm about to say that that will never happen, but Nick steps in and mischievously tells her, "Actually, Alli, Maya will be able to make your party, and boyfriend or not, I'll gladly tag along with her. Where will this party be?"

She smiles widely and tells him that it's at her house at six o'clock. He tells her ones again that we'll definitely be there. When she leaves, I kick Nick again and scowl even harder at him before getting up from my spot and walking out of the building.

"Maya, what's wrong?" Nick calls after me.

I stop at his car and turn to face him. "Do you honestly think this is funny? There's a reason why I said no, and there's a reason why I'm always hesitant when I talk to you and other people. Please stop trying to run my life, especially when I've only known you a couple of weeks."