Chapter 26

It's graduation day, and I'm standing on the stage waiting to get my diploma. I've survived high school, and I've found myself in the process. In some ways, it was the worst experience in my life, but in the end, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

"Maya Walker."

I take a deep breath and take my diploma. I shake the principal's hand and smile. He smiles back. I walk past him and to the steps that lead to off the stage. I move my tassel and find my uncle in the crowd with Emma. Tears are in his eyes. I smile at him, and he smiles back.

I walk off the stage and back to my seat. I've done it. I've graduated, and I have my diploma. I have a relationship with my uncle, and he's happier than I've ever seen him. I have a best friend who I can depend on. Life is so sweet right now.

I focus back on the ceremony. The last person walks across the stage and comes to sit down with rest of us. When the person does, we all rise. Then, we all toss our caps into the air and break into celebration.

Music begins to play in the auditorium, and I hurry through the crowds of my fellow graduates to find Alli. As soon as I find her, I rush over to her, and we give each other a big hug in celebration.

Gradually, the excitement wears down, and I leave Alli to go find my uncle and Emma. I find them talking to Mr. Beckham. I almost groan, but I don't see Cassandra over there, so I put a smile on my face and approach.

As I'm approaching, my uncle turns his head to the right and sees me. He smiles at me proudly and excuses himself. He walks over to me and picks me up in a bear hug. He spins me around and kisses my cheek.

"I'm so proud of you, Maya," he says as he sets me down with tears in his eyes.

"Thank you for everything. It wouldn't be possible without you," I reply.

"I don't know how much I had to do with you becoming salutatorian."

I smile. "You had everything to do with it. If you hadn't taken me in, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to get a good education. I haven't realized how much you've done for me until recently, and I want you to know how much it means to me."

He smiles again. "Thank you, Maya. Should we go join Emma?"

I nod. He wraps his arm around my shoulder and squeezes me gently. We walk over to where Emma is now standing alone. Emma gives me a huge smile when she sees me, and I smile back.

She holds up her camera as we get closer and says, "Stop right there. I want to get a picture of you two. Will you put your cap on?"

I slip my arm out of Uncle Sam's and put my cap on. I slip my arm back into Uncle Sam's embrace and smile. Emma takes the picture.

"Perfect. Now, come here and give me a hug, Maya!" she exclaims, a smile still on her face.

I laugh and walk over to her. She wraps her arms around me, and I wrap my arms around her. It's everything to have Uncle Sam and Emma proud of me. They've become two of the most important people in my life. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

"I'm so proud of you, salutatorian! Though, I think you deserve to be valedictorian," she tells me as we pull out of our hug.

I laugh. "I don't think I would want to kick Alli off of her valedictorian stand. We like her, remember?"

Emma laughs. "Yes, we do. Now, where does our graduate want to go eat?"

My uncle wraps his arm around my shoulder again as I reply, "Could we just go back to the house for lunch?"

Emma looks surprised and says, "Of course we can, but it will take me awhile to put some food together because of how special this occasion is."

I shrug my shoulders. "I'm not worried."