Chapter 3

"Maya! Come down for breakfast!" my uncle calls from downstairs in an unusually cheerful voice that is really annoying.

I roll my eyes and don't reply. Instead, I look at my mirror and examine what I'm wearing. Another school day means another outfit that says I don't really care. I'm wearing my usual t-shirt and jeans. I put a little effort into the outfit by rolling up the bottom of the jeans to match the fad that was going on, and I am wearing my gray polka dot converse.

I sigh unhappily at my reflection and grab my backpack, sliding my laptop inside, before heading downstairs. When I get to the bottom of the stairs, I'm greeted with an unpleasant smell. I walk into the kitchen and see my uncle sitting at the kitchen island.

I roll my eyes and sit down as far away from him as possible. Instead of taking the hint, he gets up and plops down next to me with a plate of something that looks and smells extremely disgusting.

"What the heck is that?" I ask him.

He chuckles. "What, it doesn't look good?"

"You're kidding, right?"

"Yeah, I am."

I roll my eyes and stand up. "Well, I got to go. See you later."

"You sure you don't want to eat?" he asks as though he's begging for me to stay and eat with him.

"I'm sure," I reply as I walk out the door.

I hurry down the path and into town. I ignore the stares some people send me. I walk up to my favorite coffee shop and enter through the back like I usually do. As I step inside, the smell of freshly baked pastries and freshly brewed coffee greets me. It's a much better smell than the house.

"I'm here," I call out.

Mrs. Caldwell, the sweet middle-aged lady who owns the shop, comes around a corner when I call out. She smiles when she sees me. She's the only one who is receptive towards me.

"Your usual, Maya?" she asks kindly.

"Yes, please," I say before she walks off to get my usual morning breakfast.

She's back quickly, holding a small brown paper sack and a cup of hot chocolate. I grab some money out of my bag before I take the food.

"Thank you," I say as I walk out.

"Have a great day, Maya!" she calls.

I sigh. If only she knew how badly I wanted a good day. I can't remember the last time when I actually had a good day. I continue to think as I eat my food and hurry to school. I throw my empty cup and sack in a trash can near the entrance of the school.

I'm about to pull my hood up when someone shoves me, making me fall down. I don't have to turn around to see who it is because she starts giggling her usual annoying giggle.

"Loving the ground? You should stay down there. After all, that's probably your rank in today's society," Cassandra taunts.

I bite my lip and wait for her to leave before I get up. If that incident was any indication of what today was going to be like, I better watch my back.

~•••••~

The lunch bell rings, and I hurry out of the classroom and to my favorite spot outside. I get my journal out and write while I eat.

When I hear a familiar giggle, I quickly stuff the notebook inside my backpack and pretend to just eat. Cassandra walks up with her clique and stands in front of me.