Chapter 8

Before you start to read, I want to apologize if this book seems to be moving a little slow. I promise you'll be seeing some changes in Maya, but it will happen gradually because Maya is so complex.

Also, she's taking a step forward and two steps back for a reason. I promise it will become clearer as the book goes on.

_________________________

Beep, beep. Beep, beep.

I groan and roll over to turn my alarm off. Sunlight is streaming through the curtains over my windows. I rub my eyes and slowly open them to get them adjusted to the brightness. When my eyes are finally adjusted, I slowly get out of bed.

I turn on my lights and walk over to my closet. I open the door and walk inside, staring at the clothes on hangers. I begin to look through my closet, finding nothing that suits my mood.

"Maya! Please hurry down as quickly as possible!" Emma's voice calls.

I groan again and roll my eyes as I yell, "Sure thing!"

I yank a pair of colored jeans and a graphic tee out of the closet. I change out of my pajamas and slip on the jeans and shirt. I rummage through my shoe pile and find a pair of black boots. I slip socks on before slipping the boots on.

"Maya, You're going to be late!" my uncle calls.

I roll my eyes and walk out of my closet, turning the light off as I go. I go into my bathroom and brush my hair and pull it up into a ponytail. I walk out and grab my backpack and jacket before turning the light off in my room and walking downstairs. I walk to the kitchen and see someone sitting at the kitchen island.

The person turns around and I'm surprised to be greeted with Nick's face. "What're you doing here?" I ask.

He laughs at my response and pats the seat next to him, telling me to sit next to him. "You're uncle invited me over to have a meeting during breakfast. It just so happens that we've already finished the meeting, he's gone, and I can now chat with my favorite neighbor."

I roll my eyes and reluctantly plop down in the seat next to him. Emma places a plate of eggs, sausage, and a biscuit in front of me. I thank her and pick up my fork to eat.

"So," I begin after I take my first bite, "Nick, I want to know why you're actually here."

Emma walks out of the room, and Nick replies, "I'm not lying. I had a meeting with your uncle to discuss the signing event. Just like I said, it ended early, and he had to leave for his office. I was hungry, and Emma offered to give me some food, which, by the way, was delicious."

I sigh and stare at my plate. "Why do I have a hard time believing you."

"I have no idea," he states.

I ignore his statement and quickly finish my food. Without acknowledging him, I place my dirty dish into the sink and pick up my backpack.

"I'm leaving," I call out to Emma.

She rushes into the kitchen and hands me my lunch, saying, "Have a great day."

I just nod and walk through the second kitchen and then out the back door. I saunter down the path, not eager to go to school for many reasons. I keep walking down the path slowly, but I still enter the main part of town too quickly.