Chapter 22

After the Sunday full of many conversations, I go back to school for the week. School isn't as bad as it usually is. Cassandra doesn't bother me, and I'm actually looked at with some respect from some of my peers. And, of course, Alli is there bringing laughter and fun.

Things go well with my uncle for the whole week. We smile at each other and actually talk without fighting. Emma is overjoyed by it all, and she makes it known to me throughout the week by telling me, hugging me, and making all of my favorite meals. Nothing bad happens between us like Alli said it would, which makes me wonder if I should be worried or happy

The only bad thing about the week is that Nick can't be found anywhere. I check at Mrs. Caldwell's shop multiple times, but he isn't ever there. I even check at his house a few times, but every single time I go I'm told that he's not there.

By Saturday, I'm irritated and worried, so I do the last thing on my list; I go to my uncle's office in town. If Nick is getting ready to release a new single, he's bound to be talking about everything with my uncle. I open the door to my uncle's office and am greeted by the same condescending receptionist from when I first visited my uncle a few months ago.

"I'm here to see my Uncle Sam," I state.

She looks at me with the same look of distain, but she doesn't question me as she picks up the phone. Mr. Erickson, your niece is here to see you," she says into it.

She receives a reply. She nods, sets the phone back down, and then goes back to her computer. I wait for a few minutes, but she doesn't look over at me. I even clear my throat, but I still get nothing. I sniff and pretend to sneeze, but still, I receive nothing.

When all my patience runs out, I ask, "May I go in or not?"

The woman jumps and looks at me with surprise. "You're still here? I thought I told you that he's in an important meeting with someone and that you'll have to leave."

I roll my eyes. "You definitely didn't tell me, so please excuse me."

Thinking that I'm leaving, the woman smiles with content. That's when I surprise her. I quickly walk past her desk to the back where my uncle's office is. She calls after me, but I ignore her and open the door.

When I open the door, I am greeted with a different scene than what I was expecting. Instead of my uncle and Nick, it's my uncle and a middle-aged man. My uncle stops mid-sentence and looks at me. The man turns around to see what my uncle is looking at.

"Maya," my uncle says in a dangerously low voice, "I thought I said for you to wait until my meeting was over."

I raise an eyebrow. "You're secretary told me that I had to leave the office, but I didn't believe her."

He glares at me in irritation. I ignore the glare and turn my attention to the middle-aged man. His brown hair is beginning to turn to a silver gray, and his face looks fairly familiar. Even his blue eyes look familiar, and I soon find out why.

The middle-aged man stands up and offers his hand. I shake his hand as he says, "I'm Mr. Caldwell-- Nick's dad. I've heard a lot about you."

"Nice to meet you. I'm sorry for interrupting your meeting. I'll just wait outside the door," I tell him as I let go of his hand.

"Nonsense! We were just about to finish the meeting. The rest of the details can be discussed over the phone. Besides, I must get going," Mr. Caldwell replies.