Chapter Sixteen

My head was pounding.

It was either that or the footfalls I felt through the floor. Groaning I sat up and found myself right where I had last thought I was. Staring at the now dry blood, I began scrubbing again.

I didn't heard the door behind me open, but I winced at the throat that was being cleared.

Looking over my shoulder I spotted Dran, and immediately tears sprung into my eyes. I could feel the dried blood on my face, and was sure I looked like a mess. Muttering something under his breath, Dran made his way to me and smacked the cleaning supplies out of my hand. The dried blood was gone, and he left with the supplies in his hands.

I went to stand and follow him, but his sharp voice pounded through my head, "Stay where you are, human."

I sat back down and wrapped my arms around my knees. Dran wasn't mad at me. I could tell that much, but who knows how much time had passed. Who knew if the King had come and found me, maybe that's why Dran was here.

Was Dran even close to the King?

The door behind me was pushed farther open and light shined directly into my eyes. Flinching away from it, I was surprised when my body was suddenly in the air.

Dran had picked me up and was carrying me out. He didn't question what had happened, and I didn't offer anything up. I thought briefly about the old linens, but didn't say anything. Instead I rested my head on his shoulder and revealed in the closeness of another person.

"Lin said you didn't come back last night, and didn't come back this time. Last night she knew where you were, but she didn't know today. The one's you were with last night reported to her that you had gone to do your job," Dran's jaw was clenched when I peered up at him. He was taking his time walking down the stairs, and I felt protected. "We got worried."

The last part was a whisper and my eyes shot to his. His worry was evident and my brow furrowed. "Worried about me? But you guys hate me."

He laughed and shook his head, "The walls have eyes and ears, little human. We were worried. Leave it at that."

I nodded, and he looked my forehead over, "We will have to get something to clean it before tomorrow night."

"Tomorrow night?" I questioned.

Dran nodded, "You are to perform and serve tomorrow at the party. Did no one tell you?"

Shaking my head, I ignored the pounding it caused, "No one told me, I thought the event wasn't for another couple days?"

Dran didn't answer, and when I looked in front of us I found us at the bottom floor. Setting me down he steadied me with his hands. "You got lucky I found you before the King, but he will know there's been blood spilled. The scent was strong, and he is likely to ask questions. Since you will be performing tomorrow, your cleaning duties will not be needed. Go to Lin and tell her I said to give you medical help. She will explain more about what tomorrow will be. You will also not be sleeping in the maids quarters tonight. You were summoned by some others who seem to have taken a liking to you."

I nodded, looking down at the ground. I knew who he was talking about, and having to be poked and prodded sent a groan to my mouth. He smiled at me and waved goodbye before leaving me.

Taking a deep breath, I got myself ready to face Lin and tell her what had happened.

~~