Chapter One

"Great show, Amber!" someone called out to me.

    I waved towards the source of the voice absent mindedly, hurrying to the changing room behind the stage, ready to get out of the tight leotard I had squeezed myself into.

    My mind was racing between all I had to get done tonight, once I got out of the arena I was supposed to go back to my apartment and get my homework done. I had a four page research paper due tomorrow that I probably should've done two weeks ago. I had piles of laundry that needed to be sorted and done, and an empty fridge that didn't go well with the empty stomach I was constantly sporting.

    Groaning, I made a mental list, knowing I wouldn't get half of it done. It was the thought that counted I guess.

    Pushing the door to the dressing room open, my nose was assaulted with the smells of perfume and stale hairspray. Coughing I made my way through the lithe bodies of the other performers and found my station. Grabbing my street outfit I didn't think twice before pulling the leotard off.

    Nudity was something no one in this industry minded, due to the fact that we were all practically naked all the time anyways.

    Throwing the sweats and t-shirt on, I took a second to revel in the loose fitting clothes before snapping back to reality and packing my things up into my shoulder bag.

    Smiling to those around me, I said my goodbyes quickly before walking out of the room and down the hallways.

    My nights had been hectic lately, with schoolwork and trying to pay rent and work the shows. I had a feeling of being broken from reality, like I was floating from day to day, check to check, dead line to dead line.

    I frowned, pulling myself from the thoughts as I walked from the building. Wrapping my arms around myself I looked around warily, feeling as if I was being watched.

    The feeling was normal lately, but it still unnerved me. I had called the cops three nights ago because my apartment had been broken into.

    Nothing had been taken, but it was still scary walking into someplace I knew wasn't one hundred percent safe.

    Frowning, I unlocked my car and climbed in. Checking the backseat out of habit, I started it and made my way to the nearest 24 hour diner.

    The neon sign screamed at me from above the door as I pulled into the parking lot. Sighing, I smiled at the comfortable place, no matter how run down it looked, it was somewhere my coworkers and I always found refuge after long nights.

    The owner didn't look at us weird when we came in with dramatic stage make up, she didn't judge us three months ago when a bunch of us came in drunk after a long girls night when one of the girls' husband was caught cheating. She didn't judge me when I trudged in with my laptop to use her Wi-Fi when my landlord cut ours off.

    She didn't judge me two weeks ago when I had come in with streaked make-up, a black eye, split lip and a need for comfort.

    The bell above the door dinged lightly when I pushed it open, and those behind the counter smiled at me. I smiled back, before turning to my normal booth.

    My smile faltered a bit, when I saw there were three men sitting at it already. The one facing me caught my eye and I plastered a fake smile on for him, before sitting in the nearest booth, my back to them.

    A waiter came to take my order out of habit, before setting a cup of coffee down for me. I smiled at her, before wrapping my fingers around the mug.

    I knew I must've been a sight for the non-regulars. My sparkly show make-up would make anyone do a double take at first sight. Sighing, I pulled out a notebook from my bag and set it on the counter. I felt my phone vibrate but chose to ignore it.

    There was only one person who would be calling me at this time, and it was no one I wanted to be talking to. He knew my normal spots, he knew where to find me.

    The waitress came back and set my usual grilled cheese in front of me, while my phone went off again.    

    Groaning, I pulled my phone out and looked at the contact picture that needed changing.

    Swiping my finger right across the screen I brought the phone to my ear, already regretting it.  The noises coming from the speaker would make any nun faint.

    Moans could be heard and I bit my lip to stop the tears. Above them a male voice rang out, "Hear that Am? That's what you get for leaving me!" A smack followed the words and I immediately hung up.

    Shaking my head at myself, I threw my phone back into my bag and started in on my paper and the grilled cheese.

    I spent six hours at the diner, working on my paper and sipping coffee.

    When I finally finished the sun was coming up and I threw my arms over my head with in a stretch. Now to get home, type the paper up and get it submitted.

    Standing, I ignored the group of men that had grown since eleven the night before, and paid at the counter. Waving a goodbye at the new staff, I made my way out of the diner and to my car.

    The drive to my apartment seemed to last forever, but when I got there I crawled into my bed and passed out almost immediately.

~~~

Hey guys! This is something new I've been day dreaming about recently! Let me know what you think! Feel free to comment, message me, anything :)

-Love Gabe :)