Chapter 10 - Idiots, cars and flowers

Chapter 10 – Idiots, cars and flowers

I didn't think Ben would try anything else, but the moment Alec left, things went a little crazy. Our afternoon of making our never came about, which left me disappointed. I realised that a busy man like Alec couldn't always spare time for me.

After one brief phone call, all I received was a quick kiss before he left. He gave me his phone number and told me to call him whenever I needed.

I busied myself with cleaning up after our lunch, smiling about him being here, when I'm sure I saw something. My kitchen window looked out onto the shared gardens of our apartment block, which was why I liked it so much. Ben sat out on a sun lounge facing my direction, wearing only shorts. He smiled and waved as if he expected me to look his way. With a groan, I reefed the blinds down and left the kitchen.

Later in the afternoon, I decided to take Bernard for a ride after he'd only had Ben for company in the last few days. With my helmet on, I pushed Bernard through my door.

"Let me help you with that, Grace." Ben darted out of his door and I stifled my frustrations.

"Don't," I muttered as I glared at him. "Back away from me."

"Look, I know today I acted over the top, but..."

"You were naked and uninvited in my home. I'm not impressed by your actions."

"If that dick from earlier ever did that..." He interrupted me, so I interrupted him right back.

"I'd be all over him." I snapped as I closed my door behind me.

"Why don't you choose me, Grace?"

"Lots of reasons, but these are the main ones. You know you're good looking and you flaunt it to every woman you meet. Most of the time you don't look me in the eye when you're too busy staring at my boobs. I've seen how you act around other women and I don't like arrogant men. I never have and I never will so stop trying. Go to those other women who want you." I ended up shouting as I stormed from the building.

The ride cleared my head, and the threatening storm stayed away even though the sky blackened. I rode along the parks many paths, while trying to work out what Ben wanted. Who the heck strides around naked in someone else's house?

I hadn't yet considered what things of mine he might have touched or gone through before I arrived home. A sick feeling swirled in my stomach as I wondered if he had gone into my bedroom at any time. I rode home not sure if the ride had helped or hindered me. Finding Ben at my door with striped carnations and an apologetic expression didn't help.

"Stop, it's not going to make me interested in you." I snapped as the main door to the apartment opened behind me.

"There's Ben." A female voice gushed and I rolled my eyes as a few other voices twittered away.

"Hello, Ladies." Ben turned his flirty behaviour to them.

"Oh, Ben, did you buy those for me?" the gushing continued and I let out a breath.

"If you're wondering why I don't want to be with you, I can say you're looking at it, Ben." I snapped and his eyes turned to me, as usual his stare never left my breasts.

"What?"

"If you were that apologetic for what you did then your focus would be on me, not some other women."

I threw my door open and went inside realising that Alec had it right, I needed to move. Ben would only continue disturbing me in his deluded manner of thinking I wanted him.

Staring at Alec's number and working up to call him took time. The last thing I wanted to hear was I told you to move. I then had to think of where I could move. That made me start pacing the floor and mumbling to myself.