Chapter 4 - Fungus and flowers

Chapter 4 – Fungus and flowers

In my life, I've always tried to treat people as I wanted them to treat me. Most of the time it worked. I've only found one case where it didn't, my cousin Maddie. We have never been close and I've given up trying with her.

When we were growing up I thought she would want to be friends with me, as she didn't have any siblings, and my brother was older. Over the years I learnt that Maddie didn't need friends or companionship the way I craved closeness with others. She remained happy as long as she could look in the mirror at herself. I know how nasty that sounds, but it's the truth.

Approaching the posh apartment she lived in left me nervous. I had taken an exorbitant amount of time in organising the flowers for the function, hoping to avoid her. There were only so many times I could reorganise the vases before I accepted the inevitable.

I knocked on her door after finding out she was at home through the intercom. Kelly, her maid answered and gestured me to the next room where I could hear talking.

I could never deny Maddie's beauty. Her long dark hair swung in a smooth, straight curtain, while her petite frame looked gorgeous in the gown she wore. She had such delicate facial features and smooth skin that made me look rougher in comparison.

I took a breath and knocked on the door to remind her she had a visitor. Maddie pouted her bright red lips at the mirror before turning my way. Having to force a smile, I approached her.

"It's about time." She snapped and I stilled.

"Look, I've been busy but I came as soon as I could." I made my tone polite knowing that Maddie would start fake crying if I told her how I felt about her.

"Where's my little Maddie?" another voice entered our conversation and I heard the front door close.

"Oh, Alec, I'm right here," Maddie trilled. "You can't see me yet, I'm trying on dresses." Madison chirped before turning a glare on me.

"What?"

"Go and do your job." She swished an irritable hand at me.

"What?" this time I sounded incredulous.

"Talk to Alec and keep the idiot amused, I'm in no mood to see the doddering old twat." Maddie huffed as if my duty seemed obvious to everyone but me. She left the room in a quick dash and I frowned.

These were the times when respect for my cousin lowered even further than the gaping pit it already lived in. Shouldn't she be happy to see her fiancée? I knew that if I was getting married then I would want my man by my side as often as he could be. Alec flickered through my mind and I smiled. Now that man would fit as my fiancée any day.

We hadn't even gone on a date and I'd kissed him, more than once. To be honest I should call it a make out session with the way he stifled my fears in the lift. The attraction exploded between us the moment we touched, leaving me wanting more. My fingers ran over my lips in memory of his delicious kisses.

"Hello, have you seen Madison?" a voice distracted me.

I turned to the doorway I had walked through moments ago. An older man smiled at me, his face wrinkling into lines of happiness. His dark hair sat thick and lush but peppered with silver. I had never seen the man before but something familiar about him tickled at the back of my mind.

"Um, she's having a dress fitting, so she's busy at the moment. I'm Grace, her cousin."

"Ah, Grace, I've heard a lot about you." The older man winked at me.

"From Maddie?" yes, I sounded confused because Maddie didn't tell people I was her cousin because my job as a florist embarrassed her.

"No, from my son."