Chapter 16 - Emerging war

Watchful, comforting, murderous, careful, hatred and love. This were some of the things I felt, most of my time I spend on preparing the army for the battle, writing letters to nearby Kingdoms for their support, helping to organise the plans for the attack. But I could only think about losing the one I love, the one that needed to wear a mask to cover up her emotions. In times of war the Queen had no time to think about herself or the love ones around her, only her people matter. She needs to protect her Kingdom against an enemy from which she knew was much stronger than hers.

The nights were different, much more dreams terrorised my mind and screamed to be heard. The voices, they whisper, talk, scream to release. Hope was a word that seems to shrink with every passing second. Everything went from good, to bad, to worse and the problem was that I could do nothing else but stand by the Queen's side when there was reported that the enemy stood on the battlefield, ready for the emerging war.

--()--

Looking across the field, seeing nothing else than men clothed in heavy armor made me want to drag Elsa back to the safety of her castle. She blocked out everything, my pleading, my begging ignored by the Queen. She needed to stand by her army to do what she could to protect them from the harm she had caused them. Her fragile figure covered by the thick ice that formed an armor around her body, protecting her from physical harm, but the mental part had yet to begin.

I walked to her side and the scent of earth and sweat filled my nose. "My Queen, your men are ready. They're waiting for your command." I looked down to her slightly trembling hand and I felt my heart aching, I carefully moved my hand to hers and held it firmly. Elsa looked at me with her mask covering up her feelings, but her eyes were screaming, screaming for me to help her. But I knew I could do nothing else than to win this war for her and Arendelle.

"Thank you." Her voice was bitter and cold, I gestured with my hand for her to walk forward. She could choose to turn around and watch the battle from the side, but she didn't, she started walking. I walked behind her to the middle of the field were an all too familiar King awaited our presence.

A grin showing on his face, his armor shining in the setting sun and his personal guard standing by his side. I rolled my shoulders and Elsa stopped before the black haired King. "What a surprise you could make it my Queen." I came standing behind her, looking at the man with burning crimson eyes, growling and showing my fangs. Kian flinched slightly, but recovered quickly. "I see you brought company." (W/N) flew across the field and I snapped my fingers, making the large wolf change into something even bigger.

Mighty paws making contact with the muddy ground, large leather wings were spread and fire burned in the air. The head of the creature came at the left side of the Queen, powerful jaws slammed shut, hovering above the King. I smirked and leaned my hand on my sword, the other lying on my belt. "I still find this situation unnecessary, we can talk this out." Elsa began carefully, but was cut off by the furious King.

"It's too late, words will not give me what I desire. If I can't get the power by marriage, I will take it by force." He stepped closer and hovered above Elsa, but was forced back by two terrifying beings. I moved in front of her and drew my sword with (W/N) growling behind me, Kian moved away and huffed. "Let the war begin!" The cheers of his men filled the air. "And let the victory be ours!" He smirked and walked away, I turned to look at Elsa and I could see a crack in her mask.

I lay my hand against her back and led her back to her army, her men waiting for her command. "Why has war to be the answer." The soft and broken whispering reached my ears and I stopped Elsa from walking any further, wrapping my arms around her instinctively. She hesitantly moved her arms around my waist and lay her head against my chest, she was captured in a war she didn't want to fight.