Chapter 2

I couldn't fall asleep. Betrayal overwhelmed every inch of my body as I let the dam flood over.

Wave after wave of pain hit me, and I couldn't stop the tide from rolling in. My sobs were quiet, yet disturbing. I couldn't remember a time when I had cried this much.

But I also understood why it hurt. Emotional pain is worse than physical pain because you can heal bruises, but you can't recover from betrayal.

I only hoped that Will would keep true to his word and help me escape.

I knew that he would never lie, but there was always the possibility of him scaring and backing out of our arrangement.

Eventually, I decided to put all my faith in Will, and somehow managed to close my eyes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ariel, wake up!" A voice demanded. I groggily opened my eyes to see Anna glaring at me. Was she upset?

"Are you alright?" I yawned. She shook her head.

"Do I look alright? Why on earth did you request two dresses for the ball tonight?" She asked. I felt the blush coming to my cheeks.

"Anna, you're going to the ball whether you like it or not." I told her. I could tell she was still mad. I was about to explain myself further when I remembered everything from yesterday.

I became nervous. I had to act as if everything was okay when, really, nothing was okay.

"Ariel, why are you making me go?" She asked sadly.

"I want you to find somebody Anna. There are many men out there who would die to court you. Please just give it a try." I begged. She took a moment before nodding softly.

I beamed at her. She gave me a smile of her own and brought in the dresses.

Her dress was a large, purple ballgown with glitter on the waistline that flowed out into the skirt. The subtle lavender made her green eyes pop.

My dress was a large blue ballgown with butterfly designs on the skirt of the dress, the color just happened to match my eyes.

We helped each other prepare for the ball. By the time we had finished, Anna looked absolutely stunning. Her black hair was pinned up and made her look all the more innocent.

I had also pinned my hair up as to reveal the neckline of my dress. Finally, my mother rushed in telling us that we had to go to the ballroom right away.

We exchanged smiles before walking in to greet guests.

There were hundreds of people dressed in their finest attire. 
Men had instantly approached Anna who couldn't stop smiling.

"Thank you, Ariel, for everything." Anna said sincerely.

"It's no problem, anything for a dear friend of mine." I smiled as a gentleman took her hand in a dance.

I stood there, watching as people danced, before remembering my mission. I weaved my way through the crowd in search of the clock.

Where was it? I breathed a sigh of relief as I saw it a couple yards away, I halted once I heard something. Something beautiful, mesmerizing, musical.

I heard the faint voice of a man singing. I bit my lip as I considered my options. Will wasn't there yet, a few minutes won't hurt. Following the voice, I was awed by how amazing he sounded.

Once I reached the music room, I saw him. He turned to face me and I froze. His emerald eyes pinned me in place as his jet black hair was styled in a very appealing way.