Chapter One

Clouding Troubles

recommended songBird by Billie Marten

recommended song
Bird by Billie Marten

-

The storm clouds darkened over the streets of New Orleans signaling the newfound evil that set into the city. As quiet as a mouse, a young girl slipped through the streets, careful to avoid being seen. Her footfalls upon the pavement were almost silent. The child, Evangeline, who was not yet eighteen, was shaking, not from the cold, but in fear. Just two days before, she had been apart of a vicious slaughter committed by Marcel Gerard, the king of New Orleans. He had his men round up about twenty people, all who were then tested and killed. Only the strongest made it back to life. Evangeline was lucky enough to be one of those ten strongest, however, it was because of her strong nature that she was able to slip away without anyone knowing.

After awakening, it didn't take her long to realize what she had become. Evangeline knew about vampirism, she was born a witch after all, but she never expected to become one. Their all blood diet and nasty tendencies disgusted her, and the last thing she could have ever wanted was to become part of Marcel's little vampire army. No one knew why he was building it, and no one dared to ask.

Evangeline had been worried, of course, about her powers. Traditionally, if a witch were to become a vampire, all of their power would flee, draining back into the earth and leaving them to fend off the bloodlust alone. She had thought her days as a witch were over. When she first had awoken, she did feel completely drained of her magic, and even up until the ceremony Marcel had for his new recruits. But, it wasn't until that moment when she took her first breath of air filled with the smell of human blood, or until she gave into the bloodlust and tore into a young man's throat that she could feel her body become stronger than ever. It felt as if each tiny little nerve was ignited into flames. Despite being dead, she never felt more alive. She could feel the power coursing through her veins, itching to be used. But Evangeline had to contain it. When she was alone that night, she began to practice again, the magic coming back as easily as it had disappeared. At first she was confused, unsure to why she still had her magic despite having her body convert to the lifestyles of vampirism. But soon after, she ignored the questions whirling inside her brain and just accepted the gift of immortality along with the greatest set of powers any New Orleans witch had ever seen.

Evangeline had been a powerful witch on her own, only seventeen and already having a more significant impact on the witches of the French Quarter than most of the girls her age. Even some adults had been astounded by the intensity of her power. Many of them felt threatened, and Evangeline knew that if anyone were to find out there was a way to be a vampire and a witch, she would be as good as dead.

She had left at Marcel's compound at dawn. He, thankfully, hadn't seemed to have noticed or else search parties would've been out looking for her the entirety of the day. Evangeline slipped down each street, her movements much like those of a cat. After going down a few more, through roughly trying to avoid the rain, she decided to suck it up and simply pull her hood over her head. As she turned left onto a Bourbon Street alleyway, she felt a hand grip her forearm, whipping her around. Evangeline's body was thrust into a hard chest, causing her to yelp at the impact. Daring to look up, she met the eyes of Marcel Gerard himself.