Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

Eventually the farms died and were slowly replaced by houses and roads and a thick river that sloshed over rocks and under bridges. Thick hills rose here and had holes and roads carved into their faces. To the east she could see the lights a massive city rivalling even Lakeside's size. Havern, Esme guessed, which meant the belching town in front of them had to be Alton.

Alton was not a pretty place, not like Clockton with its quiet lanes and polished houses, and the gathering night couldn't cover its ugliness. The town was a working place and factories were clustered together, creating a smog in the air that tainted the clean air. Houses leant on one another, filled with more people they could hold, with soot stained walls and grubby windows. What few people were out, drunk or otherwise, were obviously poor, dressed in rags and worn clothes, and their faces were weathered and dirty.

The truck eventually stopped at a junction between a road leading into one of several factory and warehousing districts and another leading down a street of some of the poorest housing Esme had seen since Fox's 'house'.

'End of the line.' The driver said and gave Esme a longing and rather uncomfortable glance.

Fox smiled stiffly and nudged Esme to get out. She gladly did but not before the driver asked for a kiss in payment. Esme ignored him and Fox tossed some money and hopped out, telling the driver to leave Esme alone in the least friendliest language. Luckily the driver didn't make a fuss and drove off as soon as the door shut.

Esme held herself as the truck hissed away while Absolon drifted to clutch at her hair protectively and Fox spat.

'Creeps like him are the worst. If I weren't there he would've done somethin', I know it.'

Esme knew that was true and the worst thing was that the driver believed she was a teenaged boy, not an adult woman. And that wasn't going to be the last time she had to hitchhiker with strangers. Suddenly she was very glad she had Fox with her. He seemed to know how to handle people.

Fox sniffed and rubbed his nose on his sleeve. 'Warbler is a bit far and I don't wanna risk travelling about in the night without knowing good paths so we'll go to a friend. He can give us a place to stay.'

He set off without warning, heading up the street with lampposts barely keeping the darkness away with its weak orange light. Esme hurried after him with Absolon trailing after her like a lost balloon.

Fox hadn't lied, his friend's house wasn't far at all. They travelled down a few streets, each as poor, decrepit and unkempt as the last with a few drunkards and homeless dotted about. Despite the doors being shut and the roads virtually empty, the sounds of crying children, arguing adults, noisy merrymakers and baying dogs filled the streets. Alton was alive despite looking so empty.

Fox hurried on without speaking. He was tense, she could tell. His shoulders were hunched forward and he kept pausing to glance down darkened alleys and peer back from where they had come. She knew what though. Despite no sighting of the White Wizards, something worse was on their trial.

Eventually he came to a stop and peered up at a corner house. It appeared to be an apartment block and was eaten alive by vine creepers and rot. Fox wordlessly waved at her to follow. Despite not liking the appearance and wondering if it was safe to be inside, Esme obeyed.

She stepped into the reception floor and instantly blanched. Mildew covered the walls, causing the wallpaper to peel off and rot, dropping on top of the mail boxes while dirt covered the unnaturally black wooden floors. The stench was strong in here; rotten wood, must, mould and dog filled her nose instantly. It made her stomach turn. Fox however didn't seem to notice and barrelled onwards, moving up the creaking old stairs without pause.