Chapter 40 - "I'm Ready"

My brain ticks, jolting my body randomly as I pace around the room.

The image of Lee being beaten ruthlessly replayed over and over, along with Ethan's bruised and battered body being dragged away.

I move from one end of the contained room to the other, pulling at my hair and muffling back screams.

"They're going to kill him..." I mumble, shaking my head. I sit down in defeat, on the cold concrete, a tear sliding down my cheek. "They're going to kill both of them..."

I press my hands either side of my head, shaking rapidly, "No, no, no," I mumble over and over, rocking viciously, allowing the hysteria to overcome my self-control.

The lights suddenly flicker off, signalling the time in which I dreaded the most.

The time of complete and empty darkness.

I need to get out.

I jump up, finding my way to the door, as I attempted to scan my hand underneath the scanner.

'Invalid.' It read, buzzing over and over as I repeatedly shifted my hand away.

"No, NO!" I shout, banging and thrashing against the door, throwing my fists into the metal.
I glance upwards, where a camera was pointed directly at me, red light glowing persistently. I snarled at it in frustration and anger, jumping up and ripping it from the wall.

The camera clatters to the ground, shattering to pieces. I pant, adrenaline coursing through my veins as I stared at the pieces. I grind my teeth together, stepping and stomping over the fragments, as they shattered into finer, sharper shards.

"Subject Eve Mairwood, return to your bed." A voice speaks from above, causing me to stop suddenly as if I were a wild animal, glancing up curiously. I squint, my eyes flicking from each corner of the room to the next.

My eyes finally land on the door, my brain ticking quickly. I have to get out.

"Subject Eve Mairwood, return to your bed – immediately." It repeats, the same infuriatingly monotone voice.

I lunge forward, ripping the scanner pad from the wall, watching as the wires and cables hung loosely in my hands, sparks flying.
This only encourages me further, as I attempt to pry open the metal doors with my bare hands.

"Subject resisting. Dispersing gas." A thick substance suddenly begins being sprayed from all walls, pushing me backwards, to the middle of the room. I glance around in a panic, falling backwards as I held my throat.

I let out a fit of coughs, the gas consuming every last bit of oxygen in the room, swallowing it whole. I kneel down, my pressing my head to the floor, as my vision begins to blur.

"No," I mumble, my limbs slumping to the floor, "No..."

The darkness was no longer empty, as it pulled the room down, bringing me with it.

<><>

"Come on, Eve. Hey, wakey wakey?" A voice beckons, calling me towards the light.

"Lee?" I groan, slowly prying my eyes open.

"Lee, who?" The voice says, sitting me upwards as my eyes began to adjust, "It looks like they gave her a sedative, gassed her or something. She's in bad shape."

I squint, slowly making out a figure of ashy black hair, kneeling next to me. The tattoo slowly comes into my vision as my eyes widen.

"F-Fallon?" I mumble, furrowing my eyebrows.