Chapter 39 - "White Noise"

"I have a plan." Lee starts, walking in the middle of me and Flynn.

"I'll need you two to watch over the surveillance, keep an eye on me while I go down there." Lee says, as we turn down another empty corridor.

"Wait – " I slowdown in confusion, "You're going in alone?"

He looks at me, a softened expression, "I have to, Eve. You'd never get through the checks they have. I'm the only shot you guys have at this thing."

"Better make it count." Flynn says under his breath, as we finally reach a large steel door.

"I'll set you up in there and... then I'll go. Okay?" Lee says, glancing down at me for confirmation.

I nod slowly, taking a breath.

As Lee opens the door a small and dark room is revealed, illuminated by the piercing lights from the screens.

"Hold on – Flynn," I say, turning to him, "Could I have a moment with Lee, please?"

He gives us a small nod, entering the closet-like room and closing the door behind him.

I turn to Lee, frowning.

"I can't let you do this, Lee." I murmur, his gaze avoiding mine.

"I'll be fine, Eve. We have to do this, okay? It's the only option." He reassures.

"What if something happens to you – what if they know..." I glance away.

"Stop." Lee cuts me off. He shakes his head, placing his hands on my shoulders. "I'll do everything in my power to get back to you, Eve."

He pulls me into a hug, as I bury my head into his chest. "What if that's not enough?" I question, my voice full of fear.

"Then I know you'll have the strength to finish what I couldn't." He murmurs into my hair.

"I need you to promise me something, Eve." Lee pulls away, his gaze finding mine.

"Anything."

"Promise me you'll fight to end this." He gives me a small smile, brushing a stray piece of hair from my face. "You're different from the others, Eve. If anyone can finish it all, it's you."

"You're going to make a difference in this world, Eve. Whether it's good or bad – that's up to you." He narrows his eyes, "You have the power to choose. So choose wisely."

"Okay. I promise."

<><>

I glance around the tiny confined room, screen plastered across each wall.

"There," Flynn says, pointing, "There he is."

Lee strode across the screens, calmly making his way down the corridors. He glances up occasionally, eyes passing by the cameras, as he approaches two large barred doors.
We watch as he flashes his pass, his mouth moving quickly as the guards nodded him through.

I let out a sigh of relief, "He's in."

"Now, let's see if he can play this out..." Flynn mumbles, enhancing and switching the cameras, as Lee had taught him to.

His nerves are barely visible as he enters the ditch, stepping in without hesitation and scanning the room. Barred cages ran around the room, paired with dark wet-looking concrete on the walls and ceiling.

It was a literal ditch.

People were crowded into cages, with almost a hundred packed into each tiny space, crammed against the bars. Their expression and stance wreaked exhaustion, some with scarily slim figures.