Chapter 31 - "Evacuate"

**QUICK NOTE: I recommend you listen to the song above throughout this chapter, it really sets the mood! ALSO, there is an important Authors note at the end! So stick around!**

"Now, don't rattle the cages. They're fragile. We don't want a broken down elevator with four soldiers trapped inside, okay?" Wes says, stepping into one of the tiny cages, which was supposedly going to hold four of us, taking us up to a random section of North Wall. A masked man stood at the wall, fingers hovering over what I assumed was the control panel.

"What are you waiting for? Come on!" Wes shouts, as we all scurry into a cage. I take the right cage with Wes, Dex and Link, while Jason, Annie, Fallon and Dax take the left.

I watch as the door closes us in, our bodies squished uncomfortably together. Link and I stand at the front, whilst Dex and Wes are positioned behind us. Before I know it we suddenly jolt upwards, the cage beginning to move.

Tension already hangs in the small space as we stood in silence. The air quickly becomes stale as we travel further and further up, further into the darkness.

"So...Eve, right?" Wes says from behind me, yet I don't turn around to look. When I don't answer he lets out a small laugh, "Silent treatment, hm? Look, all I was going to ask was if your girl – the one with the jet black hair and cool tatts – happened to be seeing anyone?"

I feel Dex tense up behind me, while Link merely just glances over awkwardly.

"You'd have to ask her yourself." I say, staring straight ahead, "Though I highly recommend against that, unless you want your neck snapped, of course."

Dex lets out a small laugh, while Link just grins.

"So she's feisty, huh? Sounds like my type of girl." Wes says, shifting around the cage.

"You're a strangely unlikeable person." Dex growls, the anger practically radiating off of him.

"Cool it, Dex." I say, glancing behind me. The cage finally jolts to a stop, as we reach even more darkness.

"Finally. Get me away from the testosterone." I scoff, clicking on my flashlight and heading forward into the darkness. Link chuckles, following closely behind me. The other cage has already exited, with Fallon leading the group. Wes jogs ahead of us, scouting out the area.

"You, you and you, you're coming with me." Wes gestures to me, Jason, Link. "As for the other four of you, here's a map, you check out the highlighted corridors to make sure they're clear and come straight back here. Are we clear?"

The four of them, Fallon, Annie, Dex and Dax, nod in unison. They soon head off, their flashlight guiding the way as they disappear into the darkness.

"Follow me. Closely." Wes says, stepping forward. Travelling through the corridors, Wes takes us deeper and deeper into North Wall.

We walk silently, as I curiously flash my light around the walls, up onto the ceiling and down on the floor. "Link?" I say, stepping close to him, "What is this place?"

He goes silent, swallowing hard. "Some part of North Wall. We aren't sure which, though." I feel Jason tense up beside me, leaving me with a slight confusion that I merely ignore.

I nod, continuing forward whichever way Wes took us.

"Alright guys, through here." Wes says, kicking open a door with his gun up, straight ahead.

"Wes," Jason stops him, "You sure about this?"

I frown, clearly confused. What are they talking about?