Chapter Thirty Four

"It will be fine. Don't worry about it."

"But something about this seems too convenient."

"Caph, you think too much."

Caphriel absentmindedly pulled at her hair, running fistfuls through her fingers. If this went as planned there would be much bigger problems to worry about. She, Alethia and anyone who had helped them would be fugitives, on the run from the Elders. They would be lucky to survive a week. Charmeine could survive a couple centuries, she was strong. Pahaliah might live, but it would depend on where she was put. Uriel wouldn't last more than a hundred fifty years.

"What will we do after today?"

"What do you mean?"

"We'll be the most wanted criminals in all of Elvirund. The Elders will lose it."

"There are places to hide. It will be fine."

"The Elders have found many. Even those who hid."

"But they haven't found everyone."

"How would you know? You haven't been in prison."

Sibriel snorted and Caphriel raised an eyebrow. He was hiding something, for sure. She met his gaze and saw the mischievous glint in his eyes; he knew something. His eyes lit up with a giddiness she knew very well was his way of distracting others. She didn't fall for it.

"Sibriel," she breathed.

"You're looking at the notorious Magic Thief right here." He grinned.

"You're kidding me."

"Nope."

The Magic Thief was a mysterious man who had roamed Elvirund stealing books and trinkets from anyone and everyone he pleased. He had done little violent damage, but the missing items aggravated those to whom they belonged. Only the extremely wealthy had been affected, strangely enough, and eventually the Elders were forced to step in. However, they had never found the Magic Thief. He'd become a legend, something for parents to scare young angels with if they were disobedient.

"Let me guess. You used alchemy to produce the 'magic' we saw."

"Very nice guess. Very correct guess."

"You've become a tall tale. Does that not amuse you?"

"It's a lot of fun. Occasionally I'll go and steal from someone again, just to perpetuate the legend. How else do you think I get all of my materials?"

She shook her head and nearly scolded him, but realized he had never actually done anyone harm.

"So am I allowed my phoenix statue back?"

Sibriel flinched in surprise and thought for a moment. His old career had left many annoyed and confused. He never imagined she would be one of them.

"I stole from you? I didn't even realize."

"No, it's alright! Relax, I was teasing."

"But I actually did steal from you. Correct?"

She paused and laughed softly. It was true, of course, but she had gotten over it decades ago. The missing item had been a two inch high statue of a phoenix, its wings spread and its head proudly straightened to the heavens. She'd awoken one morning to find it gone, without a single trace of it left behind. Instead, there had been a glowing orb floating just above its spot on her nightstand that hissed and dissipated when she touched it.