Chapter Thirty One

"Don't leave, please."

"I'll be back, I promise." She smiled.

"What are they going to do to me?"

The dryness in my throat choked my words into a hoarse whisper, and Caphriel shook her head. She gestured to the mug of water, watching me until I finished it.

"I'll make sure the First Elder doesn't get his hands on you."

I recoiled at even the mention of the First. The name sent a shiver down my spine, and I felt the sting on my cheek again. My hand fluttered up to my cheek; faint bruises sat under my skin and haunted me. One of his blows had landed right on top of the scar on my cheek from my time in Gehenna.

"Alethia, dove."

Caphriel's eyes crinkled at the corners and she scrambled to pull me to her. When I winced, she loosened her grip, apologizing quickly.

"Alright, we won't talk about him. I'm sorry, dove."

"It's okay. I'm fine, I promise."

"No, it's not. He hurt you too many times. I'll repay him for every last blow he landed."

I couldn't argue with that. Even the thought of him summoned in me the desperate urge to deposit the contents of my small meal all over the floor. The First's face flashed before my eyes, his mouth open in a wide gruesome howl of laughter. My eyes squeezed shut.

"Listen, dove, he can't touch you. I will make sure of it, even if it costs me my life."

"Don't die like that, please."

She pressed her lips together and her arms tightened around me. Was I really so damaged? I was weak, that had to be it.

"Fine. I won't go that far. But I will not allow him to get anywhere near you."

"Come back as soon as you can, please."

"I'll do my best. Alethia, stay strong."

I didn't move as she gently untangled herself and left, giving me one last smile as she walked out the door. There was a part of me that screamed betrayal, and another part of me that hoped she would keep her word. For the moment, I sagged back onto the floor and laid there without much thought to how cold it was. I could hear the Second Elder pacing by my cell door. Did he have something to say to me?

"Here."

A blanket landed unceremoniously on top of me and I looked up. The Second didn't cast another glance my way, only returning to his frantic pacing. I thought briefly about tossing it aside as a protest, but my shivering limbs won out and I wrapped the blanket around my shoulders. I could protest later. I didn't remember falling asleep, but I awoke at some point not knowing what time it was, and quickly forgetting the dream I had been immersed in. All I remembered was the appearance of a silvery white stag.

"You're awake."

"Caphriel?"

"Cobalt."

I frowned at her and she put a finger to her lips. Then I understood. No one could know that she was coming down here, and if I guessed correctly then the Second Elder was the only reason she had gotten here safely.

"You better be thankful I found you an extra day. Next time it will be three days, and not one."

"Of course, Leimar."

"Leimar?" I balked again.

"The Second." Caphriel whispered under her breath.

I sighed and shrugged, leaning my head on her shoulder. Caphriel ran a hand over my hair, sorting out the knots and tangles once again. Occasionally she lightly grazed my cheek with one hand, a smile just touching the corners of her lips.