Chapter Forty Four

Alethia hadn't moved from her seat in the corner of the shop for two days now. She accepted any food and drink given to her, but hardly ever moved. Once or twice she got up, paced, then left only to come back within five minutes.

"I hope she's alright."

"She's trying to control the part of her that lived with the wolves. I think fighting the wolf earlier may have brought it back."

Caphriel stared out the window at the star splashed sky, occasionally stealing a glance at Alethia. The night was calm, but a humid fog blanketed all of Elvirund. Charmeine slipped in from the false wall and took a seat by Sibriel.

"Have you slept at all?" Nanael questioned.

"Not much. Enough."

"How much?"

She sighed and Charmeine muttered something under her breath, drawing a quiet laugh from Pahaliah.

"Five hours."

"Each night?"

"Total."

"Caphriel, you can't go two days on five hours of sleep and expect anyone to take you seriously." Charmeine rolled her eyes.

"Well, I seem to have done it regardless."

"Sleep. I'll make sure she's okay."

"Char, you know how I feel."

"She's asleep. The most that could happen is that she wakes up."

Caphriel sighed and nodded at last, acknowledging her fatigue. Unhooking a fairy lamp, she descended the stairs behind the wall, sliding it shut with a light thump. Sibriel watched her go and turned back to Alethia's sleeping form.

"Alethia is terrifying when she gets angry."

"I know, and honestly I'm not surprised she became like this. Alethia has always been the one to put blame on herself, if you remember." Sibriel's voice was calm yet worried.

"I wonder if it will always be this way," Nanael mused.

"Well, we know at least that she is trying."

"Charmeine, can you manage this on your own?"

"I'll be fine, Sib. I slept for nearly half the day."

"Alright. I've got work to do early tomorrow, I'd better catch some sleep."

Charmeine lounged in the windowsill, comfortable yet ready should anything threaten her. The hilt of her dagger was well hidden for something very easily within reach; it made for convenient defensive strategy. Occasionally an owl hooted, and Aurelia even flew in through the open window to curl up within the folds of Alethia's cloak.

"Good evening, young owl." She mumbled softly.

Aurelia shook her feathers out and settled into the crook of Alethia's elbow. The bird wouldn't be sleeping any time soon, but she was a comforting presence anyway. Clouds were few and far between, late night partygoers chattered quietly. The streets bore a startling resemblance to Earth, didn't they? Of course she would know. While other angels with human lives behind them forgot, Charmeine had remembered. Nobody ever suspected a thing when she was placed in the Mortal Studies branch of the Academy, nor when she continued to excel there in the military.

"Come here for food, have you?"

Fortunately, she knew where Caphriel kept the treats and dug one out from the bag. Aurelia paused in her preening to snap up the treat, blinking once at Charmeine.