Outtake #1: Because ice would melt

Author’s note: Welcome to the first outtake from ‘Trust me’!!! I’m very excited to be writing these outtakes- I hope you guys enjoy them as much as I loved writing them :)

So as you would have read in the introduction, this outtake is Edward’s perspective of the notoriously awkward fever scene :D Special thanks goes to CassandraLowery who suggested i write this outtake because she was interested in reading how Carlisle coached Edward through Jacob's fever. Thank you for the suggestion Cassandra!

If you are trying to find the original chapter from which this is based, it was Chapter 11: Apologies (written from Jacob’s POV) from ‘Trust me’. I hope you enjoy Edward’s view of things! Please remember to vote and comment when you’re done (or now if you’d like ;))!

Also as an aside, the complete list of outtakes are now in the introduction (I added two more to my original 13, giving 15 outtakes altogether). Please check out the list if you have the time, otherwise you can wait and see what extra surprises I have in store for you all :)

Happy reading!

‘From another point of view’

Outtake # 1- Because ice would melt

Edward’s POV

Jacob’s groans could be heard from downstairs; his sleep had become was agitated and restless. His thoughts were not clear enough for me to understand, but from the door to Carlisle’s study I could see that the sheets were sticking to him relentlessly; he was undoubtedly drenched in sweat. I knew it was only a matter of time before the boy woke up demanding my attention; probably to yell at me to turn up the air-conditioning. So before this occurred, I needed my father’s and Jasper’s opinion on the reason for the boy’s agitation to see whether they concurred with my own suspicions.

“Carlisle, Jasper, could you come up here for a moment please?” I whispered quietly so I wouldn’t wake Jacob, but loud enough so my family could hear.

In one second, Carlisle was by my side, and immediately his thoughts reassured me that my suspicions were correct.

He has a fever, Carlisle sighed. We really should have fed him. If we had, his immune system would not be struggling as it is now, my father berated himself, feeling terrible that Jacob would have to endure such an uncomfortable state because of his negligence.

“We could not have known,” I tried to console my father, but he brushed me aside.

“We should have, Edward.”

I looked my father in the eye; I could see how difficult it was for him to realise that he could have easily prevented his patient from suffering more than he had to.

“Jacob has not been hungry,” I reassured him persistently, and of this I was certain; Jacob had never desired food or wondered why we hadn’t fed him.

Carlisle returned my gaze, looking doubtful, but he didn’t say anything and returned to observing Jacob from afar.

In the mean time, I wondered where my brother was.

“Jasper?” I mumbled, heading towards the stairs to see if I could sense his whereabouts.

Jacob is highly uncomfortable- he most definitely has a fever, Jasper reported to me from downstairs, his thoughts and expression tense. I now understood why he did not wish to join me upstairs; it would intensify what he could feel from Jacob.

“Thank you, Jasper,” I whispered gratefully to him.

Now that I was certain Jacob had a fever, I gently led my father away from his office, and back down stairs where we could freely discuss a course of action.