Chapter 16 - A Bigger Family

This chapter is dedicated to DemonHunter1! Happy reading! :)

~~~~~~~~~~

Saki pov:

"Hmmm what should we do today, Tomo? It's our day off and I'm not really in the mood to work on anything new." I sat on my couch with Tomo sitting next to me and his head resting on my lap.

I was petting him from his head all the way till his tail, occasionally scratching him behind the ears as well. We had just finished breakfast and the TV was on, entertaining me with some random variety show. Although, it was on mute because I wasn't finding it as interesting as I usually did.

I had had a wonderful birthday party on the day before yesterday. Just as Yuuya kun had told me, I had taken the day off and gone to the orphanage at around ten in the morning. I knew that Aunt Chiyo would have made decorations and arranged for a surprise birthday party but I was blown off my feet by how colorful and bright the orphanage had looked that day. Balloons, flowers and so many colorful ribbons had been used to decorate the whole orphanage. Aunt Chiyo and the kids had baked a cake together and decorated a table in the back yard so we could all cut the cake and have a party.

It was one of the best days of my life!

Just before I left, Aunt Chiyo had asked me about what had been troubling me. She had known me since I was a baby. She had taken care of me and she knew my personality and she could easily tell if there was any change in my behavior or the look in my eyes. She had figured it out this time too....she had found out that I was bothered by something and she had sat me down and helped me open up to her.

I had confessed about the love I had for Starrk. Of course, I didn't tell Aunt Chiyo that the person in question is a hollow and someone only I could see. And even though Aunt Chiyo had asked me to introduce him to her and I had agreed, I couldn't really do that, could I?

After I understood that the feelings I had towards Starrk, I found it a little difficult to be normal around him. The more I spent time with him, the more I met his gorgeous steel blue eyes, the more I wanted to just let everything out. I knew I couldn't because it wasn't possible for a human and hollow, two strikingly opposite existences in this world, to ever be together. Maybe I was just being negative but I couldn't really find a solution to our differences. If Starrk knew about my feelings, perhaps he could find a solution....but I couldn't get the courage to tell him how I felt in the first place.

The only thing I could hope for between us was a deep friendship.

Yet, I couldn't control myself. On the day I had invited him to my house and he had slept on the couch, the same couch I was sitting on at the moment, I had crouched in front of him to watch him. I didn't mean to be creepy watching someone while they slept. But my heart was heavy and throbbed painfully within me with the desire to do so. I wanted to be closer....I wanted to touch him even though I couldn't gather the courage to do so while he was awake.

I had caressed his face, run my fingers through his smooth hair and even ended up kissing his forehead. At the moment I kissed his forehead, my eyes had stung and by heart wrenched in longing. Seeing him sleeping, seeing his strong arms, shoulders and back, I just wanted to be embraced by him. The desire to be closer and closer got worse by the day. We were friends but I wanted so much more.

I broke out of my thoughts when I heard a whimper. I looked down at Tomo who was looking at me questioningly. I knew he could sense that I was feeling sad and he was reacting to it.

I caressed his head with a sad smile. It had been more than a two months, or probably even longer, since Tomo started to live with me and he had grown quite well. He was two thirds the size of a full grown husky now. He looked more like a wolf, a very beautiful one at that. He was powerful now and when he tugged on his leash, I had to put in a lot of effort to stop from falling over. But he was trained well and understood me so he never did anything that I didn't like.