La Revanche des Trois (Revenge of Three) - Chapter 1.1

Lauren and Jezica laughed at the inside joke across the table, Stefanie as usual felt left out.

They were at the very expensive restaurant inside of the St. Royal Hotel in Detroit. It was lunch hour and today Stefanie wasn't feeling like she wanted to be there. This feeling was a long time coming, but today when she awoke in her downtown loft, looking at the empty white pillow beside her and wishing someone was lying there with her, she was feeling that nagging of not wanting to be around Lauren and Jezica even more.

Jezica was married but barely home. She was supposed to be an at home mom, but having a very supportive mother in law, gave Jezica the right to just do what she want with all her husband's money when she wanted.

As for Lauren, she had always lived a wealthy life either with her own means or the many men she dated. Although she was single, there were always three to four millionaires supporting her expensive lifestyle and taste.

Stefanie was always the odd one out. A loner all her life, she really didn't acquire friends until high school when Lauren and Jezica decided to take her into their "cliche" after Stefanie's big payday. On top of that, Lauren and Jezica probably wouldn't have gotten out of high school or college without Stefanie's smarts.

When the bill was brought over the waitress placed the tray by Lauren. The assumption was inevitable since Lauren was the better dressed out of the three women with the latest in fashion from head to toe. Stefanie would be the less likely to be assumed.

            When the waitress walked away, Lauren and Jezica continued their discussion about the new boots that were in season and at the same time, Lauren set the check next to Stefanie with a playful wink.

            Stefanie didn't hesitate to pull out her American Express business card and place it on the receipt tray only noting a little the bill was a little over a hundred dollars. Lauren and Jezica ordered the most expensive thing off the menu, yet most the food on their side of the table was barely touched.

            Every fourth Friday in the month this was the ritual of all three "friends," since Stefanie had received her first lump sum on the algorithm she had created for a software program. Later on tonight would continue the ritual where they all got together at a club and had a "girl's night out." Even though it was fun for Lauren and Jezica, it never had been fun for Stefanie.

            Ten years later since the ritual had started, Stefanie was still paying bills for Lauren and Jezica, yet today reality was sitting ill in her gut.

            "Isn't that true, Stef?" Lauren asked.

            Stefanie hadn't been listening because the subject of what new boots to wear for winter just wasn't interesting to her. "Yeah, sure," she answered like she usually did.

            Lauren flipped back her synthetic coopery brown mid-back length hair and gasped. "Look at that fine specimen, Jez."

            All their eyes went to the door to see a tall big black man dressed in black from head to toe with dreds down to his waist. He looked even taller with a black Stetson hat on and bigger with the black leather McIntosh that went all the way down to his ankles. Stefanie almost thought tumbleweed was going to roll by because she seemed transposed back to western days and felt highly unsafe all of a sudden.

            They weren't the only women or men looking in the direction of the entrance as the man's obsidian eyes scanned the room as if he were looking for someone to kill. His visual scan stopped at their table and he narrowed his eyes cruelly at Stefanie.