Congratulations

It's been a week since Brantley and I got engaged. We are throwing a house warming/ engagement announcement party. My parents are coming, I haven't seen them since I left Dante at the alter.

I walk into the kitchen and Brantley is facing the counter with his head down. He looks nervous. Brantley is not the nervous type of guy.

"What's wrong babe?" I say coming up behind and wrapping my arms around his waist. Brantley turns around and faces me. He links his hands behind my back. 

"I don't know, I guess I just kinda nervous to see your parents again."

"Babe, You'll do fine."

"Emory, You know your parents have always hated me, I can only imagine how they feel now that you left another man for me, and when we tell them we are getting married."

"I know baby but my parents need to understand that I love you and nothing can keep me from you." I say and kiss him passionately. 

The door bell rings. We look at the door and head that way. With his hand on the door knob he says "It's show time!"

~~~~~

BG POV

The party was going full blasts. Emory was greeting some of her friends. 

"Hey babe, I want to introduce you to some of my friends" She yelled from the back door.

"Coming" I yelled back.

Standing next to her was a short fiery red head. Emory smiles and takes my hand.

"Babe this is my old college room mate Lennox, Lennox this is Brantley." Emory introduces us.

"oh, I finally get to meet the famous Brantley, the man who was the topic of many late night talks" Lennox says, shaking my hand.

Emory started blushing. Kolby came up behind me putting a hand on my shoulder. 

"Lennox this is my brother Kolby" 

"Hi." Kolby says staring at Lennox. Lennox just softly smiles and stares back, twirling a strand of her hair. I look at Emory and we make our escape. 

Emory goes to check on the snacks while I head back outside. As I turned the corner I ran into the two people I was hoping to avoid, Emory's parents. 

"Mr. and Mrs. Huntens, hi!" I said.

"Brantley" Mr. Huntens says and nods. 

"How are ya'll?" I ask.

"We are fine, how are you and our daughter?" Mrs. Huntens asked sharply.

"Emory and I are doing very well" I respond. 

"Did she tell you that she left a very successful doctor at the aisle?" She asked, trying to cause trouble.

"Yes ma'am she did, she actually came here after that, I was going through a bad time myself." I say. 

Then like a angel sent from God, Emory comes to my rescue. "Mom, Dad, Hi, How are ya'll?" She says as she hugs them.

She then wraps her arm around my waist. 

"We are fine, Emory, We were just catching up with Brantley here." Her dad says.

"Well I actually came to get him so we can give our speech and thank everyone for coming." Emory said pulling me away.

"I'll catch up with ya'll later" She said.

"Nice seeing you two again" I said.

"Thank you, that was brutal" I whispered to her.

~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone was gathered in the back yard with either food or drinks in their hands. Lennox and Kolby were already getting pretty cozy together. Brantley and I were on the patio. 

"We want to thank everyone for coming out today to celebrate our new house. " Brantley started. 

"We also have a hidden agenda for ya'll being here. We get to make another announcement." I said, I looked at my parents and they looked mad.  

I unhooked the chain from around my neck that held my engagement rings. I slid them on my finger.

"Brantley and I are engaged!!" All of my friends screamed and ran up to me. I looked through the crowd to find my parents heading towards the front yard.

"excuse, sorry I'll be right back" I said as I followed my parents.

"Mom! Dad! are ya'll leaving?" I asked. They looked up from the ground.

"Yes, sweetie, we are leaving." My dad said.

"why?" I asked.

"Your mother has a headache" My dad said.

"I don't have no damn headache, we are just not going to sit here and watch you throw your life away for that boy in there." My mom yelled.

"Oh, well then, ya'll can leave, because I love Brantley and I am going to marry him."

My dad gave me an apologetic look and got into the car. My mom didn't even look at me. I ran inside and went to our bedroom and started crying.

~~~~~~

BG POV 

I was looking around for Emory after the chaos calmed down and I didn't see her. I went inside and couldn't find her. I was on my way upstairs to check when I heard her crying. I opened our bedroom door and found Emory laying on our bed in tears.

"Emory, baby, whats wrong?" I ask, taking her into my arms to hold her. 

"My parents left, my mom said that they won't watch me throw my life away by marrying you." She said through the tears.

"Oh, sweetie, I'm sorry, It's all my fault. If I hadn't been such an idiot growing up, your parents wouldn't hate me as much."

"It's not your fault Brantley, it's my parents, my dad just gave me a an apologetic look and drove away."  She said crying harder.

"It's ok, darlin' , but listen we have a whole house full of people who are excited for us downstairs, do you want to go try to rejoin them?" I asked her softly.

"Yeah, I guess" she said giving me a soft smile, "just give me a second to fix my face"

I kissed her head and went downstairs.