Stubborn

Emory
It has been a week since Brantley came home from the hospital. He has a knee brace and a sling holding his shoulder still. I moved in with him to help, it worked out good. I didn't have anywhere else to stay, I gave Dante our apartment.
Brantley has been a bit moody since the wreck. The first day he was extremely tired but overjoyed to have me there but now he is irritable and grouchy.
Brantley started to stand up to take his bowl to the kitchen. He balances himself on the arm of the couch.
"Here babe let me get that for you." I offered.
"No thanks I'm fine" He says roughly as he grabs his cane and settles himself before grabbing the bowl.
I brushed it off, he is just in a lot of pain.
He comes back and sits down. He starts to rub the rim of his nose.
"You alright, babe?" I ask, I walk towards his chair. I on the arm and start to rub his neck and head.
"Just peachy." He says sharply, he pulls away from me and repositions in his chair. I sigh in sadness and confusion. I throw my hands up then pull them through my hair.
The next morning, I walk into our room to see if Brantley is awake. I find him in the closet trying to put on a shirt.
"Here let me help you with that"
"I got it" He struggles to pull shirt over head. He tries to pull busted arm through.
"Brantley, let me help you."
"Damn it Emory I'm a grown man I can take care of my shirt. I don't need help."
"Babe, remember what the doctors said?"
"I know what the damn doctor said, but I'm fine."
I couldn't take it anymore, This morning when he was in the shower I had convinced him to let me stand in the bathroom while he showered, since he wouldn't let me help. He had lost his balance and almost fell, I quickly caught him. It took everything I had to keep him from falling. I was not going to watch him hurt himself. "Listen to me Brantley, You were in a wreck. Unless you were too drunk to remember, you drove your truck into the side of a fucking tree when you tried to kill yourself. You are seriously hurt and you were in the hospital unconscious 4 days ago. The doctors told you to take it easy and let someone help you. So stop being so damn stubborn and let me help, I want to help."
I turn around and marched out. I went to the front porch and started to cry.
I can't get through to him. You would think almost falling he would stop being so stupid but no.
My phone started to ring. It was Mama Becky.
"Hey, Ms. Becky"
"Hey darlin', I was calling to see if you wanted to get some yogurt, I'm watching Cam and TJ. "
"That may be exactly what Brantley needs, he has been a bit out of it since he got home, I'll go ask him"
"He just needs time to adjust, text me what he says"
"Alright Ms. Becky, love you bye"
"Love you too sweetie bye"
I went back inside and found Brantley in our room sitting on the bed.
"Your momma has TJ and Cam, she called and asked if we wanted to go get yogurt with them"
"No thanks, I'm good"
I sat down next to him and grabbed his hand.
"What's going on Brantley?"
He looked down and then up at me. "I don't want them to see me weak and hurt. I don't want to have to explain what happened to them. Those kids are my whole world, I can't have them think differently of me."
"Brantley, they love you, they won't think differently of you"
"Emory, please I just don't want to go"
I sigh "alright, I love you, I'll be back later, call me if you need anything."
I arrived at the yogurt place, "Aunt Emory, you're here!" Cam yelled and jumped into my arms. I had stayed close to them while Brantley and I were apart.
"Uncle B?" TJ asks from Ma. Becky's arms.
"Sorry sweetheart, your Uncle B didn't feel well so he stayed home"
BG
I've been in so much pain. The pain killers only take away the physical pain, I'm happy to have Emory back but the reason is depressing. I don't want to be weak I her eyes, that's why I'm fighting her helping me. I'm going to try to shower by myself again.
I was in the shower and I was using my good arm to hold my self up. My foot slipped and I hit the floor. I couldn't get up or move much. I slowly reached my phone. I scrolled to Emory's number but scrolled on to Kolby.
Emory
I was eating my yogurt talking to Cam about his baseball season when my phone rang. Kolby was calling.
"Hey Kolb-" he cut me off.
"Brantley just called me, he fell" I dropped my yogurt, My mouth fell open.
"I'm on my way to y'alls house, he told me not to call you but I felt like I had to"
"Yeah um thanks Kolby I'm on my way home now"
I hung up and apologized to Ms. Becky and the kids. I jumped into my car and drove.
BG
"Brantley! Brantley where are you?" I heard Kolby yell.
"Up here!" I managed to yell through the pain.
He ran into the bathroom.
"Oh Brantley, don't move I got you, brother" Kolby helped me up and to the bed in my room. He grabbed me some clothes and started trying to dress me.
"I got it man" I said.
"Brantley let me help you" I was in too much pain to argue.
"What the hell were you thinking Brantley?"
"I was thinking that I'm a grown man who shouldn't need help showering."
"But Brantley you do-" He was cut off by Emory running in.
"Brantley, oh my God, babe are you alright? Why didn't you call me?"
"I'm fine, Emory, I didn't want to worry you"
"I'll give y'all some space" Kolby said.
"Thanks Kolby, for everything" I said.
"Thanks man" Brantley nodded and said.
I looked at Brantley again "What were you even doing?"
"I was trying to shower, I didn't want to burden you or hurt you if I fell again"
I sat next to him. "Baby, you don't burden me and if you let me help you, you want fall"
"Fine I don't want you to think even less of me"
"Brantley, look at me, I could never think less of you, your my rock, the love of my life. And I'm not going anywhere unless you want me to"
"Good, I don't want you to leave, I lived long enough with out you"
We laid back on the bed. I put my head on the good side of his body and be put his arm around me and kissed me head.
"Don't scare me like that again"