Chapter 24

Night fell quickly, and Alexander Hamilton began to give orders to the group of four-hundred men gathered before him. 

Benjamin wasn't mounted, which surprised me, but it gave him the ability to place himself near the front of the line where I was. 

By Hamilton's request, the majority of soldiers were from the 1st Rhode Island regiment, the only integrated company in the army. I knew how Washington felt about slaves and it surprised me that he would give these men such a prominent position.

"Gentlemen," Colonel Hamilton said from atop his horse, pacing before the infantrymen, "ten minutes ago, our French allies fired shots at the Fusiliers redoubt as a diversion. We will now advance, with muskets unloaded, towards redoubt number 10. Be prepared to face treacherous wooden barricades and a huge trench, you will have to work together to get into the redoubt. Lieutenant Colonel Laurens, take your troops around the back of the redoubt in order to prevent their escape. The rest of you will follow me. Any questions?" 

There was silence. We began the short march to across enemy lines under the cover of darkness, a few breathy whispers and the sound of distant bombardment the only noise that could be heard.

"Louisa," Benjamin said softly, "load your gun." 

I furrowed my eyebrows, although I knew it was too dark for him to see me.

"What? No! Washington specifically said-"

"I know," he responded, putting a finger to my lips and gesturing for me to be quieter, "but I want your gun loaded the whole time. Just in case; it'd make me feel better."

I looked at him indignantly. "Benjamin Tallmadge! I can survive the walk to the redoubt without a gun, just like everyone else. Is your faith in my ability to take care of myself that low?"

"No, of course not!" he exclaimed, taking my icy cold hands in his own. "You're the strongest person I know, man or woman. But I also have been on the battlefield many more times than you have and I've experienced the horrors. You've already suffered so much, my love."

I could faintly make out the outline of his eyes as we walked, talking in barely audible voices over the sound of four hundred sets of marching feet. He was terrified.

"I can't wait to be your wife," I breathed, letting him hold my head in his hand and kiss my forehead, his other hand gripping mine as if he would never let go.

Eventually, we were separated as his regiment was ordered to load their muskets and begin climbing into the huge trench.

Suddenly, a gunshot rang out and a British soldier appeared above us, calling for other troops inside the defense walls. "It's the bloody Americans! Wake up!"

"Bayonets!" Alexander shouted. 

My heart raced as they began to charge the redoubt, standing on each other's shoulders to reach the fortification. The sounds of bullets flying all around me heightened my senses and I followed close behind the men in search of the wounded. 

Adrenaline coursed through my veins, shaking, trembling, furious at the close-up view of war I once saw as an inconvenience.

A soldier in front of me was suddenly thrust back into my arms, blood flying in all directions from his head. I screamed and dropped him out of instinct but it didn't matter; he was dead the moment the bullet shattered his skull.

All around me, I watched the young men charge forward valiantly under the vicious fire of professional British soldiers, undaunted. They were champions.