Chapter 14

"Wait here," Caleb said as we arrived at the large tent where they were keeping André, "I'll bring you inside in just a moment." I nodded and he went in, leaving me alone.
A few moments later, someone from inside the tent wrapped their arms around my waist and picked me up. Startled, I leapt from their grasp and turned to see Benjamin with a grin sneaking across his face, his eyebrows raised at my response.
"Benjamin!" I cried, smacking him in the arm, "You scared me half to death! I almost hurt you!"
He laughed and took my hands in his, saying, "I'm sorry. But it was so funny," he winked before turning serious, leaning close and whispering, "John André is in there...he knows you are alive but not that you are coming to see him. Listen, Lou, you don't have to talk to him if you don't want."
     "I want to," I responded, "Thank you, Ben. It won't take long." He put his hand to my face and ran his thumb along my cheekbone, a soft smile on his face. "You look beautiful today. Even with this ridiculous dress on."
I let out a quiet laugh and he leaned closer, lowering his voice, "I'm glad to see you are walking well...I was hoping we could go for a short outing tomorrow after my meeting with Washington and André's hanging. If you feel up for it."
     It was hard for me to read his emotions but I caught a mischievous glance pass through his eyes as he bid me farewell and told me, "Be careful in there, you never know what tricks those Tories might have up their sleeve. They're waiting for you in there. I'll see you soon, Louisa!"
     Taking a deep breath, I smoothed out my dress and entered the canvas tent. Alexander Hamilton and General Washington were sitting across from Major André, who was dressed in civilian clothes.
     "Major André," I said softly. He stood to his feet, startled by my presence. "Miss Louisa."
"I'm so sorry, Major," I gushed, "If I had known-"
"Don't apologize. I am just glad you're alright. Although, Miss Adams, I must admit it is quite a surprise." I pulled up a chair across from him and folded my arms across my chest anxiously.
"I owe you my life, Major André," My lip trembled slightly and I stumbled on my words, "And this—this is how I repay your kindness."
He shook his head and sighed. "No, Miss Louisa. You are a woman from the colonies, a wealthy patriot girl who lost everything because of me. But you were so strong. When I left your home on that wretched day, I looked back and saw you kneeling on that bloody floor in that dirty nightgown, surrounded by the bodies of your beloved family. You were screaming and weeping but I didn't try to comfort you. I closed the door with blood on my hands and when I mounted my horse, I remember almost coming back to kill you...my orders were to leave no survivors. I don't know why I let you live. But look at you now, Miss Louisa. You are now living a comfortable life with people that love you and care for you. You've suffered enough, it's time you won for once. Do not apologize for making the most of the life I ruined for you."
     Tears streamed down my face and I sat back in my chair, unable to bring myself to look at his compassionate eyes. Hamilton shifted in his seat awkwardly, obviously unsure what to do with himself.
"Major André," I breathed, "I am alive because of you. Please don't take responsibility for my past. Take responsibility for saving my life. I just...I came here to thank you for what you have done for me. Are they treating you well?"
He smiled. "Yes, Miss Adams. I feel like a guest. I suppose I have you to thank for that."
     "I know they would have even if I hadn't said anything," I replied, "but yes, I did make sure you were taken care of."
     I glanced at Washington and Colonel Hamilton. They were both taking notes, although I wasn't sure exactly what there was to write about, and looking frantically between me and André as if we were about to start a fistfight or kiss each other. I wasn't inclined to do either.
"Your friend," he said tentatively, "Tallmadge. He seems wonderful...I know you'll be happy with him."
I smiled and thanked him, tapping my fingers restlessly on the chair. There was so much I wanted to know that I knew I would never be able to ask.
Just then, a low-ranking soldier anxiously came in following one of the guards who had been standing at the door. "Sorry to interrupt, Miss," he stammered, glancing at Washington who didn't even look up from his paper, "but the doctor said to send for you quickly. There is a small battalion that have a few seriously injured and they need you in the infirmary as soon as you can."
My heart sank but I nodded graciously, thanking him and assuring him that I would be there in a few short minutes.
     "Will you be there tomorrow, when I am to be hanged?" He asked with a slight break in his strong voice.
     "I will, Major. Is there anything I could do for you in the meantime?" I said, standing up and brushing off my dress.
"No, Miss Louisa, I am sure I will be fine. It is only a momentary pain. Thank you for speaking with me and please accept my apologies for anything I could have done differently in Brooklyn and certainly what happened in New Haven all those years ago."
He turned to pull something from his pocket and Hamilton stood up in alarm, his hand on his own pistol in case André pulled out a gun.
     It was a crumpled piece of parchment paper that he handed to me sheepishly. "It won't do me much good in the grave," he remarked as I unfolded it. To my surprise, I was the drawing of me that André had been working on back in his tent in Brooklyn. Finished and beautifully perfected.
"Thank you, Major André; I could never thank you enough. For everything you've done for me." He smiled and bowed his head.
     "Go help some soldiers. I'll see you tomorrow, Miss Louisa. Thank you."  I wanted to embrace him but I knew the General would be horrified if I did such a thing, even if it was simply out of gratitude and sympathy.
     As I was taken outside, I looked back at him leaning the chair dejectedly. He had so much to live for. Even if he was just a Tory.