TWENTY - NINTH ::

I couldn't believe I was sitting with her in front of the emergency room, Granit sitting beside us and holding her hand.

She couldn't drive the car that she had parked in my driveway, but I placed it into the garage and took my Ferrari to the hospital instead.

When she said he wouldn't make it- I had thought it was my teammate.

Of course I was wrong-

It was their puppy.

Their puppy- Quentin.

I told them I was going to get a drink, but instead, I stepped out for a breather of fresh air. I was afraid that I was going to punch someone if I had stayed any longer. I sat outside, and just held my head in my hands.

I still remember promising her a puppy when we had moved in together.

The night she had left in front of my eyes, I had left early from Newcastle early to buy a puppy for her. But it was Alyssa who called, and threatened me if I didn't go hear her out.

Alyssa confessed to me at that moment, and I lost all trail of clear thoughts.

Then I drove home to her with a stir of emotions: anger, sensitivity, sympathy-

And then she left me.

I didn't chase after her.

I don't know why- perhaps I needed time to reason with myself, and know why we had broken up.

What constituted us to this moment in time when I was looking at the lamps that dimmed and faded; and the room went dark.

Then I went into our room, where it had been once love and never sorrow, and scraped the side of my leg from the drawer I never shut.

The television was on; it was a rerun of Friends. The last season, last episode.

I could tell she were watching it as she packed her stuff, because the blanket on our couch was still warm; I had always forced her to watch football, and I shouldn't have.

Then I knew why we broke apart.

I had always thought it was my career, that I was always traveling for away games all over the world.

But it wasn't.

Even when I had time, I didn't spend it with her-

Loving her,

Asking what she wanted to do,

Caring for her and her wants, needs, emotions- I drove my sanity over for another woman who meant nothing, neglecting and rioted my insanity in front of the one who meant everything.

And I regret it.

I went back into the emergency waiting room, and as I look to her and Granit, their hands tightly clasped together. Granit had lied to all of our teammates just a day ago that they weren't together. But anyone could tell by the way he looks at her: especially when she's speaking- he's always attentive. I knew the timing wasn't right for me to chase after her now.

Granit was so unlike me, but he was also a divorced man.

Just last year, he divorced his wife of three years. He never told anyone why; and I always wonder if she knew as she held his hand, where his ring had once bound him to another woman of whom he had promised to give her his heart.

I always wonder if his heart truly belongs to her, as like mine was intertwined with hers.

.

finals week is gonna kill me so please let this chapter sate you; are you guys mad that its just a puppy

I think Aaron finally realizes where he did wrong! finally

don't be ghost :)

x