Chapter 2

"You need to learn to control your temper!" Reeth scolded her as he passed back and forth on the boats deck before RedEyes, who sat with her legs outstretched in front of her and leaning back on her hands.

"I know I know, it won't happen again," she calmed him.

"You could've burned down the whole forest!" Reeth turned to far her and pointed the tip of his wing at her accusingly. Water mixed with fire around him in an angry dance, "master didn't give is those Devil's fruits to cause trouble with them."

RedEyes sighed and dropped her chin to her chest like a kid being scolded, "I understand. But that's why he left me with you! You wouldn't be here if it weren't for my temper so there's a good thing!" She raised a hand to gesture to him.

"But what about when I'm not here? What will you do then, kill everyone who angers you?! The world doesn't work like that RedEyes," he shook his head, "you don't want to make enemies with everyone."

There was a slight pause and then: "you'll always be here though, right?" RedEyes voice was small and unsure. She sat up crossed legged and began drawing patterns into the wood.

Reeth sighed and shuffled forward and up onto RedEyes' lap. He laid down with his wings wrapped around her waist in a hug which she returned by picking him up and holding him in her arms. The fire that swirled around him in a sad manner warmed her.

Due to the Devil's fruit RedEyes had, one of the side effects was immunity to fire. So when flames curled around her from Reeth there was nothing but a small warmth.

"Of course I will, I'm not going anywhere as long as I'm live."

"Don't die then because I don't want you to leave." RedEyes pulled him closer like a child hugged a stuffed bear, "I don't want to lose you too," Reeth didn't respond. On the Grand Line a promise like that could never be kept. The seas were too unpredictable and dangerous to feel confident in your survival.

Even the strongest pirates would fall victim.

Later that night while RedEyes was training, Reeth flew into the room through the window looking serious. His feathers were ruffled and more steam that usual rose up from the angry fire and water that mixed. He was clearly stressing out.

"There's been a marine scouting boat following from behind for a while now. But I can see more ships coming from the right and left," RedEyes lowered her clenched fist from the sandbag hanging in front of her and turned her head towards Reeth.

"Do you think they'll attack?" RedEyes panted and wiped the back of her hand across her forehead. She began unwrapping the bandages from her hands. Looks like training was over.

"Never mind," she spoke before he could, "why else would reinforcements be coming?"

RedEyes dropped the worn bandages next to a towel that laid on the floor. She walked past the window Reeth stood at and swung open the training room door. Without grabbing her coat she stepped out the door in only a white tank top and baggy army green shorts, her feet bare except for the bandages wrapped around them. Her hair that was pulled back in a loose pony tail blowed in the small night breeze.

Outside the night was was peaceful, the water calm. They've entered the next island's climate, a warm and moist tropical climate. The sky was clear and full of bright stars. If it hadn't been for the marines RedEyes would have stopped to admire the view.

Her ship was small enough for a one man operation, it was fast and easy to maneuver around rocks, which came in handy quite often.

With a telescope from the deck she leaned against the back railing and looked out for the marines. There were two about a mile behind them and three to the back left and three to the back right. All a mile away and catching up.