Fire, Fire

I woke up the next morning wrapped delicately in Matt's arms. Opening my eyes I let out a little squeak. My mother stood in front of my bed, tapping her pink slippered  foot and looking none too happy.

"What the hell is this? And who the hell is he?" She shouted, I felt Matt awake and jump from my side. He quickly stepped next to my mother, took her head into his large hands and looked deeply into my mothers light brown eyes. Her face went slack and she simply nodded, and walked quickly from my room.

"What the hell was that?" I shouted at him.

He shrugged and sat on the bed next to me. "I told you that I could manipulate people and their thoughts, just not yours. Besides I saved you from getting a huge ass chewing."

I groaned. "Next time don't use your mind crap on my mom, but thank you for swooping in and saving me from an ass chewing." Flinging the blankets off me, I crawled out of bed. "I'm going to go change," I said to Matt, gesturing to the bathroom. He gave me a deviant look. "No, that is not an invitation. We need to leave soon for school, and that means you need to get out of my house so my mom won't see you again."

"Fine," He said standing up and graving the keys to his car. "I'll go start the car, but don't take forever princess. We don't have all day."

I shot him a glare as I scurried to the bathroom and quickly changed. Speeding out of the bathroom, down the stairs and out to Matts' car, I flung myself into the passenger seat.

"Faster than I thought," Matt said, backing down my driveway.

"So," I said once we heading towards our school. "What now?"

"I have no idea." Matt stated, shaking his head. "But I guess we will figure it out soon.

Pulling into the school's parking lot and flipping into a parking space, Matt jumped out of the car and ran around to my side, yanking the door open for me. I stepped out, finding a million eyes stuck on me as people walked by.

"Come on." Matt said, placing a firm hand on the small of my back and guiding me into the building.

I felt glares from many girls sink into my skin as I walked down the hall towards my locker. I passed shocked Megan, her mouth hanging open slightly. I gave her a small wave as I walked by, which seemed to pull her from her daze, making her mouth snap closed.

Stopping at my locker I began to turn the lock. Matt's wide frame leaned against the lockers next to me, his dark, seductive lips twisted up into a cocky grin.

"What's so funny?"

 "They're so jealous of you, but in reality, they should be jealous of me." He pushed a long strand of hair behind my ear. "Because I have you." He slipped a warm hand in mine lacing our fingers together.

I pulled my hand from his reluctantly. "I have to go, Matt. I have class. But I'll see you later. 'Kay?" I said. I didn't plan on seeing him later. I needed both of us out of this mess.

"Okay." He said grinning. He leaned down and pecked me on the cheek and I swear I heard a small gasp from behind me. "I'll meet you later, love." He said quietly.

I gave Matt a little awkward wave goodbye, and walk quickly to my first class. Sliding into my seat in the back I tried to keep my distance from everyone. I felt the stares on me as I buried my head into my book.

"So," Meg said sitting in the desk in front of me. "What's up with you and Matt lately? You two have seemed to have gotten really close." She lowered her voice so that I could only hear her. "And you still need to tell me what happened last night."

I shook my head. "It was nothing. Just a little disagreement with someone that Matt knows. We got it figured out." I said, brushing it off like it was nothing. I didn't want to tell Meg the truth about what happened because I was afraid she would be put in danger if I did. "And nothing is really going on with me and Matt."

She gave me a skeptical look. "That's not what it looked like to me. Normally guys don't kiss a girl just because they're 'friends'."

Heat reached my cheeks as I remembered that everyone could see that little show of affection. "It was nothing, really. I swear."

"Fine." she said. "But we are not done having this conversation."

I sure hope we are, I thought to myself as the teacher walked in and began writing nonsense that I didn't care about on the board. My mind was on my crazy life that just keeps unraveling in front of me. I don't know how much more of this madness I can take.

Playing with the things on my desk and in lala land, I didn't notice when Matt barged into the classroom and walked abruptly to my side. He yanked me from the seat by my arm, pulling me forcefully towards the door.

"We need to leave now." He said as we walked out of the door, leaving the teacher in shock.

"Why?' I asked, ripping my arm from his strong grip. I stopped forcefully. "I'm not moving, Matt. Not until you tell me what is going on."

He let out a loud sigh "Damn, you are so stubborn. We need to leave because Tazmin is in the building, I can feel her presence. I need to get you out of here, then I'll pull the fire alarm after I get you to a safe spot, and everyone will be safe too. But please we need to hurry, Kat." He said, gripping my arm and pulling me towards the end of the hall. He opened the closet and gave me a slight shove into there. "Hide," He said looking around, making sure we weren't being watched. "I'll go pull the fire alarm quickly, but please don't move." He pleaded. I gave him a quick nod. He shinned a smile at me and gave me a quick kiss. "I'll get you out of here and we will run away from this, somewhere we won't be found, just for a little while. Until it's safe for the both of us." He gave me another quick kiss, and shut the door of the closet in my face, leaving me standing in blinding darkness.

A few seconds later I heard a loud screeching sound, and the sounds of students shuffling their way quickly from the building. Squating down, I hid in the corner until I couldn't hear anyone in the halls anymore. The door swung open quickly. I shielded my eyes from the light as someone wrapped their hand around my neck.

"Found her, Mistress." A deep male voice echoed through the small closet. I heard the clacking of Tazmins' heels on the floor before I could see her. She grinned at the sight of me clinging to the large mans arm as I struggled to suck in air.

"So you did." Tazmin said lightly, tapping the large man on the head like  a child. "Good job, Milton. Now give her to me."

He put my legs back on the floor and I collapsed on the ground, gasping for air. She raised me into the air by an invisible force. Her blond hair shone bright in the darkness as her face twisted into a wicked smile. My legs dangled off the ground, swinging madly. I felt liquid spray over my arm and run down my side. The strong scent filled the room, and I instantly panicked A small light flicked in Tazmin's hand as she strolled around me slowly.

"Interesting thing about fire," She spoke forcefully. "It helps with so many things in life, even back to primitive days, but it has also caused so much distruction." She paused. "That has to be my favorite part about fire. The distruction it can cause to someone." She flicked the small match onto me, releasing me from her invisible grip as my flesh seared, my voice screaming uncontrollably from my lungs.

"Come." She said to the group of men in the small room. "She won't last long, anyhow." Filling out of the room, the left me burning.  My eyes dotted with blackness as I rolled around on the floor, trying to stop the burning.

"Kat!" Matt screamed, coming to my side, for what seems to late. He quickly took off his shirt and covered me with it, esinguishing the fire. Wrapping me in his arms, he quickly carried me from the small closet, and outside to where bright red lights flashed, and people stood in a large group "Help!" Matt yelled to the men in yellow. "She's been badly burned. She needs help." Quietly to himself, I heard his mumble "Because I wasn't there for her when she needed me most." A small speck of water splashed on my face, I gave Matt's hand a light squeeze with the energy that I could muster, just before I was wisked away into a very loud vehicle. The last thing I remember was staring at the white ceiling of the ambulance. I fell into a very deep dark sleep.