Raining Glass

My heels clicked along the linoleum as I stomped my way to the deck. Cocky bastard, I thought to myself. He just needs to get over himself because after this party he will never see me again; no matter how much he thinks we're 'soul mates'.

Storming on to the deck, Matt turned his body away from the open sea and towards me. Crossing his arms, he smiled at me.

"Beautiful as always."

"Let's just get this over with so I can go home. My mom is probably worried." I grumbled.

He cocked his head, grinning at me. "Really? 'Cause when I called her she seemed pretty excited that you were out with a guy." He winked at me.

"You called my mom? Why?"

"So you don't have a reason to skip out on the party of course." He said, stepping closer. "Plus, I get to show you off, gorgeous. And that's my favorite part." He leaned his forehead against mine. Trailing a hand down my long braid. I held my breath as his other hand reached for mine, twining our fingers together. "I promise you, Kat, I won't make you regret this night. Please just try to have fun tonight, with me."

"Matt, I don't even-" But before I could finish my sentence, a loud ringing from deep inside the house startled me. Pulling himself away from me, Matt raced to the front door. I heard a few voices echo from the living room before Matt returned to me and grinned. "The party has begun."

********

Bodies twirled and swayed in a sea of  colors as I stepped into the room. Matt wasn't clung to me because he had some 'business' to attend to. He's probably calling his girlfriends and telling them not to come.

I scanned the room looking for a familiar face. I didn't recognize any of these people from school. Or even from around town.

"Looking for me, princess?" Matt whispered from behind me. I nearly jumped out of my skin.

"Why do you have to do that to me? You damn near scared me to death."

He chuckled at me. "Well let me make it up to you, then." Matt said pulling me on to the dance floor just as a new song began.

Every person in the room moved in sync to the steps of the song. The long dresses twirling at the same time in an array of colors,  clicking their shoes exactly to the rhythm of the song. I felt like I was in a completely different time period. Matt held me delicately in his arms, guiding me through the steps of the dance. He smiled brightly, enjoying himself, twirling me in and out. I started to enjoy myself a little too. In this mass of people swirling and shoes tapping just like mine I felt like I belonged, finally. Glancing around at the other people in the room, I stumbled a bit. Matt caught me by my arms, pulling me against his large chest.

"It's okay," He said, his sapphire eyes gazing gently into mine. My heart melted into a puddle. I felt my body relax into his. "We all stumble sometimes." He leaned down, pressing his lips to mine. His tongue ran along my bottom lip and I allowed him entrance. Our tongues danced to their own rhythm as people swirled to a different one.

The song ended and people scattered from the dance floor but I didn't care. The only thing I cared about was our kiss and Matt's hands traveling around my body. Matt moaned as electricity ran through us like no other.

He pulled away from our kiss, laying his forehead against mine and pushing a wisp of hair behind my ear. "You are so beautiful, Kat."

My hair blew forward as Matt held me close in his arms. I never wanted this moment to end. Wait, what? Wind? I'm in a fucking building.

"What the hell?" Matt yelled, wind ripped things from the tables, flinging them across the room. I ran away from Matt's side in a panic, huddling in a corner behind a table to avoid being hit by flying debris.

Glass shattered and rained around the room. Tiny cuts appeared on my body as it sprinkled on me like sharp rain drops.

"Kat!" Matt yelled through the crowd, trying to find me.

"Kat," Matt breathed at my side. "Let me carry you, please, let me get you out of here." His beautiful eyes pleaded with me, but I still didn't trust them, despite the moment we just shared.

"No." I said pulling my knees closer to my body. I shut my eyes trying to block out the screams as things were flung around the room by an unknown source.

"Kat, you need to get out of here, please let me get you out, she might hurt you."

I snapped my eyes open. "She? Who's she?" Looking around I saw her. Her long, flowing dress blown forward from an unknown source. Her fiery eyes pierced my gaze as I stared at her, dumbfounded. I saw a look of hate in her eyes as they lifted to a shelf nearby. She flung the shelf across the room. It hit the wall above me, splintering in sharp shards.

Screaming, I was drug away from the woman on a rampage just as another shelf tumbled heavily to the spot that I had just been crouching on. Strong arms wrapped around my frame, carrying me running, down a dark hallway.