The Plain Ones

Crashing to the floor, I was startled awake. Dammit, I really need to get a bigger bed so I can stop falling out of this small ass one, I thought to myself.

Gathering myself from the floor, I glanced at the digital clock that sat on my nightstand, groaning loudly. 6:45?! Really? My feet flopped loundly against the hardwood floor as I made my way to the bathroom.

I flipped on the light. Turning the shower on, I undressed and stepped into the hot steamy shower. The heat made every pour in my body come alive, waking me instantly.

Getting out of the shower, I wrapped my fluffy pink robe around me. Turning around I let out a small yelp.

"Calm down, princess, it's only me. No need to get so excited." Matt said, grinning.

"How fucking long have you been in here?!" I yelled.

In one swift move, he held me close, covering my mouth firmly. "Not long," he said, eyes bright with mischief. "But not so short that I didn't see a good peep show." He winked at me.

I reached my hand up and slapped him right across his pretty face, leaving a bright red hand print. He let my mouth go to hold his cheek. I loved the look on his face; must have been the first time he had been hit across the face by a girl.

His face changed a bit as he used the arm around my waist to shove me against the wall. His body wedged between my legs as they left the floor, my knees gently resting against to his hips. Scooting his other arm down, he rested it gently on my calf, firmly keeping my legs wrapped around his body.

Licking his lips, he lowered his head, looking directly at me. "Now, Kat," his nose rubbed against mine. "Tell me what happened in that room after I left."

I could hardly breath with him that close to my face, let alone think. "Who are the 'Plain ones'? I blurted.

"The plain ones are people who don't have telepathic and telekinetic powers. That's what people like me call them. My kind looks down on people who are well... not like us."  He pushed my hair behind my ears, running his fingers along my cheeks. "Now, sweetheart, please tell me what happened."

Closing my eyes I let everything spill out, "Tazmin came into the room after you left." I began to sob as my words flowed faster and faster from my mouth. "She threw me across the room and told me that if you didn't come back to her, she'd do worse things to me than throw me against the wall."

His eyes widened, staring at me in disbelief. He took my wrists and wrapped them around his neck. Gently he lifted me from the wall, carrying me into my room and laying me on my bed. Gently he sprawled out next to me, curling his long body next to mine. He held me close, stroking my hair as I cried. "We can't be together, Matt" I whispered into his chest. He pulled back looking at my face.

"Kat, I will protect you from her. I would protect you from anything. Please don't say that to me." He kissed my lips, leaving me wanting to tell him that yes, we can be together. But I knew what I had to do. I can't put myself in danger.

"No, Matt," I said. "Go be with one of your toys. But you can't be with me. Just leave. Now." I knew that every word that came out of my mouth was a blow to his heart. But this is what had to happen. This is what I had to do to keep us both safe.

His face looked disappointed, like his heart just shattered into a million pieces. He slowly lifted his body off the bed. I sat up as he left out of the window, which he had apparently came in through. I buried my head in my hands, letting my tears flow free. I have got to forget about him. Forget about how sweet he is without a girl on him. How he thinks we belong together.

Getting up, I pulled a big sweater from my closet and a pair of light blue jeans. I needed to get everything straight. Heading downstairs, I found my mom sitting at the kitchen table, I steaming cup of coffee in her hands. She smiled at me, her dark hair in a crazy, matted mess.

"Hey honey. How was your night with the boy who called. Matt, I think his name was."

"Fine." I said, keeping the tears from bubbling up in my eyes.

"So... nothing happened?" She was obviously curious to see if I finally had a good guy in my life.

Sitting down I grumbled, "No, mom."

"That's too bad." she winked at me "He sounded good looking. Oh, by the way, the school called and said your car was there. I had them tow it back home. I got it fixed for you. It should be up and running, good as new." She cheered.

Yeah right. I thought to myself, heading out the door and into my beat up old car. This time it started. Backing out of the driveway I headed back to my reality. The reality where guys like Matt Evergreen never notice a girl like me and never takes interest in any girl that's below his league.