You Discover Who Drowned Newt (Part 1)

Despite the emotional ordeal you were going through, your Professors still expected you to attend your lessons. They were allowing of you spending breakfast, lunch and evenings by Newt's side but otherwise, you had to be at every lesson and still submit your assignments on time.

You hadn't been summoned by the Headmaster since that initial meeting, so you had to assume that investigations were still on going and that you weren't needed to provide any more background information on Newt. Not that you really knew that much.

Of course rumours had spread throughout the school. The latest on the grapevine was that you had drowned Newt yourself and that your truce was merely a ruse, so you could permanently dispose of him. Such a lovely thing to say about someone, don't you think? When Isadora had heard it, she threatened to rip the gossip-spreading Gryffindor's head off. You liked Isadora a lot.

"I have a theory." your friend one day declared, as you and your friends studied by Newt's bedside.

Valerian rolled her brown eyes. When didn't your friend have a theory? "If it's about the ex-Seeker drowning Newt as revenge for being kicked off the team, you're week too late. He was the first person interviewed- well, second. After (y/n), of course- so don't even bother mentioning it."

Your friend scowled at the brunette. "That wasn't what I was going to say."

"It wasn't the mermaids either who grabbed him. They were interviewed next and the actually like Newt, apparantly he was quite popular amongst the lady fishtails." Isadora giggled, wiggling her eyebrows, attempting to lighten the mood.

Your friend closed their textbook in annoyance. "Urgh, I'm always so behind with my theories. Where do you get your information from?"

"People." both Valerian and Isadora answered simultaneously.

"And anyway," Isadora continued. "we all know (y/n) did it."

That caught your attention. Looking up from your copy of Advanced Potion Making, you glared at the confident, blonde-haired girl. "That's. Not. Funny."

"Ah, so you were listening to us." she smiled, showing no malice. "I was just checking."

You decided to copy Valerian's sarcastic facial gesture and returned to your work.

"Maybe it was truly an accident." you mutter to yourself, although you could hardly believe such a thing. How did one go about accidentally drowning one's self? Especially when there are adoring mermaids nearby to save you? Except this time they didn't, they were busy doing whatever it was that mermaids did and therefore missed Newt nearly being drowned to death and also missing who did it. It was all rather convenient.

It was...wasn't it?

You suddenly sat up straight, the metaphorical cogs in your mind whirring to life. How could have not considered such an idea sooner?

"(Y/N)?" Valerian questioned, as she glanced at your friend, worried by your sudden change in actions.

"The mermaids..." you whispered, feeling almost giddy with your realisation. "Newt didn't know that they would be too busy to see him, otherwise he wouldn't have gone to the lake, he would have gone where there were creatures. He wouldn't have wasted an entire hour by the lake if he could be elsewhere, where there might be a chance of a sighting."

"What about the squid, wouldn't he have gone to see it?"

You shook your head. "Don't you remember, we learnt about the squid in our History of Hogwarts lesson, it only comes out when someone needs help. It didn't save Newt because it couldn't sense any danger! The person, if it was a student, who hurt Newt was someone he knew, someone he trusted and therefore didn't feel threatened by! This person...thing...also knew about the mermaids being busy, they knew of their schedule and therefore knew that they wouldn't be there to help Newt!"

Your idealisms were met with unsure silence. It may have sounded far fetched to your group of friends but you were sure that you were onto something.

"Well...it's not the craziest theory I've heard all week." Isadora smirked, folding her arms across her chest. "You really believe it's someone with knowledge of magicial beasts?" 

"Yes, yes I do." you breathed, feeling dizzy with the idea of actually catching whoever harmed the young, eccentric male.

"Do you think we should tell the Headmaster?" Valerian questioned, biting. on her nails, a nervous tick she had developed several years ago, though no one knew why.

"I think...I think we should do some investigating of our own." your friend intervened, eyes sparkling at the thought of a way to help Newt and you. Bless them.

"It's got to be worth a shot, I can't just sit around and do nothing!" you said, looking more than annoyed at the thought of being redundant when it came to the investigation, especially when you thought you had a lead.

"Well then it's settled!" the Slytherin proclaimed. "We're going to be Sherlock Holmes," she glanced down at Newt. "and he's our Baskerville."

TO BE CONTINUED...