When Things Are Good And Suddenly They're...Not

Two days later, you were sat in your Herbology class with Newt's Head of House, Professor Sprout, as your teacher.

Herbology was one of the only classes that you and your newest friend didn't share together. It felt rather strange not to have him beside you, furiously scribbling notes or doodling drawing upon drawing of a Bowtruckle.

Since your honest talk (and partial argument) in the dungeons, you and he were now officially friends. It was fair to say that he had intergrated with your friendship group rather well, which you were very happy about. The last thing you needed was to end your feud with Newt, only to cause a rift with your friends but no, you comrades were more than okay for you and he to get along. Apparently they had a lot of money riding on the odd that you and he would eventually become a couple.

You had told them over and over again that Newt was just your friend. After such a rocky start, you didn't want to ruin the platonic relationship that you had just recently forged.

Together you both had visited Professor McGonagall, to have a discussion about the treatment that Newt had been receiving, from the Gryffindor's Quidditch Seeker and his fellow cronies. She had been more than sympathetic as she offered you a biscuit and informed you both that immediate action would be taken, to ensure there was no further harrassment.

Yesterday, a new Seeker had been chosen and several quidditch members taken off of the team. Newt was once more free to wander the halls of Howarts.

With a sigh, you frowned down at your parchment. Despite your love for Herbology, you were finding it difficult to concentrate on what Professor Sprout was explaining. You had written the word 'Mandrake Root' but not much else. Your mind just kept on wondering and focusing on other matters.

Thankfully, you were sat by a window, so were able to gaze at the outside scenery.

It was a beautiful autumn day. The grounds were now littered with amber, gold and ochre leaves. Despite the cold winds that blew, the sun was shining, casting a butter yellow light across the world.

Just beyond the grassy plains, you could see the edge of the Great Lake, where the mermaids and the giant squid dwelled. It was one of Newt's favourite places to spend his free time, it was the perfect place to observe natural waterlife.

Him and his damn fantastic creatures, you joking thought to yourself.

Straining your eyes slightly, you tried to see if you could spot his lanky figure by the waters edge. The young male had disclosed that as he had a study period, he would be spending the free hour at the lake, analysing whatever creatures he came across.

Okay, so it was fair to say that he was a dork but so were you, you too had your own obssession, so you could hardly judge him.

Well, maybe just a little.

From your seat, you couldn't see him anywhere near the lake. You assumed that he gone back to his dormitory.

Whilst you had been daydreaming, you had been oblivious to the prefect that had interrupted your lesson, urgently needing to speak to Professor Sprout.

You suddenly found yourself ripped away from your pleasant thoughts, as the deafening sound of chairs scraping the floor filled your ears.

Realising that Professor Sprout had prematurely dismissed your class and hastily left the room, you turned to look at your friend, whom was quickly packing their bag. "What happened?"

They shrugged. "Not a clue. Sprout suddenly said she had to leave." rolling up their parchment, they looked at you with a wide grin. "Since we have an hour before lunch, fancy a game of exploding snap in the common room?"

You agreed, not having had time to play the game for a while. It was nice to have some spare time that wasn't used for essay writing.

You and your companion left the classroom, discussing every topic under the sun except Newt. They knew better than to continuously ask how things were going with him. A very good friend indeed.

You were just nearing Gryffindor Tower when suddenly you saw fellow student, Valerian Cassanova, running towards you with a panicked look on her face.

"(Y/N)!" she cried as she reached you, out of breath and pating from her exertions. "Wh-Why are you here?"

A very odd question to ask indeed, you thought, amused.

"We've just been dismissed from Prof. Sprout's class early." you explained, immensely looking forward to having some relaxation time. "We're going to play a game of exploding snap, you're welcome to join if you like?"

Valerian suddenly appeared to be horrified by the very notion that you were going upstairs to play exploding snap. "You don't know..." she muttered.

"Don't know what?"

She paused, chewing at her lower lip. "It's Newt-"

TO BE CONTINUED...

A/N: Hello all! I hope that you enjoyed this latest update and are still enjoying this book. The next update is due hopefully tomorrow. :) I would just like to say a huge thank you for the 9K views and all of your wonderful comments. :) I love reading each of them. And to those voting? you are awesome too. I'm just so chuffed and * reaches for a tissue * and * there are no tissues *. Excuse me, I need to go and find some tissues. I'm just so happy. * wipes eyes *.