i want you to scream

// TRIGGER WARNING FOR VIOLENCE //

• • •

Student's Point Of View

Of all the things I have done today, staying home should have been one of them. First I had forgotten my phone on my night stand next to my bed and then I left my research paper on my laptop, unprinted and half finished. Not to mention, I had planned on finishing it during first period study hall, but all plans of that were immediately shattered, just like my grade point average is about to be.

I discovered all of this too late and it almost made me just say screw school and go home, but my attendance record has not been the best this year. I have already been told that if I miss another day of school, I could be on the verge of being held back another year. That is something I will not be doing and if I have to risk getting a zero on a research paper, then it will just have to do.

However, my teacher was not too happy when she heard my excuse as to why I did not complete my paper. That of which I was not surprised to hear either. Although, I was surprised when I found out that she would give me another day to complete this assignment.

I thought this shitty day was finally turning around. Literally just this morning, something was telling me that I should have probably stayed home, but now I cannot find a reason as to why I should have. Everything seems to be going fine. Except for this stupid history lecture that is. Mr. Johnson is literally dragging on and on about how much he hates the reasons behind some war. I am not gonna lie. It is pretty boring and I would rather be anywhere else.

I contemplate whether or not I should stay in class to maybe try and learn something to better help my grade, but then again, half of the class is zoning in and out anyway. Maybe if no one is paying attention and we all fail the next test, he will just throw it out. Then again, he has been known to try and make it an absolute bitch to pass his class.

Against my better judgment, I raise my hand and ask, "Can I please use the bathroom?"

He stops his talking all at once and gives me the nastiest look I have ever seen him give to a student. It is like he is exaggerating down to the last possible moment of just how mad he is that I interrupted his snooze fest.

Then, it is like he cocks an idea because his eyebrows raise up immediately and he crosses his arms over his chest in challenge. Sighing, a smirk graces his lips as he says, "I don't know. Can you?"

And it was in this exact moment, I felt like I could run up and strangle this man to the floor, feeling no remorse. I absolutely hate teachers who think they are so witty and feel like they are the encyclopedia of jokes. I am asking to relive myself of my pee. I did not ask for all the sass.

"May," I put extra emphasis on this line, lacing it with annoyance to make sure to bring it to his full attention, "I use the bathroom?"

"Yes," he nods, raising a finger to point to the bathroom passes hanging on the hook across the room as if I had not known they were there. "Just take that with you."

I sigh and shuffle out of my seat to begin to walk over to the hanging passes. I snatch one off of the hook with a quiet scoff as Mr. Johnson goes back to rambling on in front of half asleep students. I laugh to myself as I pass through the door and slam it behind me, sure enough waking up the students from their slumber and aggravating the teacher even more.

Something that catches my eye right away is the eerie silence filling up the hall as I make my way to the bathroom. It is like there is no life in here whatsoever and it sends a chill up my spine. Of course it is odd to notice this, but this is high school. It is common for at least one student to be roaming the halls during class and maybe two teachers patrolling the area, but I find none.