but you're my favorite nerd

// I don't know if you're really good at math, but props to you if you are because I suck. I just thought this idea was kinda cute. //

• • •

If there is one thing in this world you are good at, it is math. It is your calling and the whole class knows it. When you raise your hand for just about every question and it is always correct, it is not so hard to catch on to.

However, for the last few months, it has not been as easy as just getting the answer correct. Now it comes with snide remarks and paper balls being thrown at the back of your head. Within a matter of weeks, you didn't feel so great about math anymore.

You dread going to math because even if you don't answer a question, you get the same treatment. The bullies take pride in knowing they can get to you and they continue doing what they do best while you start to lose grasp.

Your grades drop drastically because you can't seem to pay attention to what the teacher says and you find yourself becoming distant from your girlfriend as well. Simply because the kids in the back of the class make you feel like you aren't worthy of her and she begins to notice.

"What's wrong baby girl," you hear her ask from behind you as she approaches you at your locker. You don't acknowledge her for the simple fact that you are afraid that you won't be able to hold back the tears. Instead, you keep fondling with the books in your locker to keep yourself distracted.

She leans up on the lockers next to you with her arms crossed to try and grab your attention, but you aren't having any of it. You can't bring yourself to look over at her.

"Please tell me what's wrong," she begins, her head falling against the lockers tiredly. "Don't shut me out Y/N."

You sigh, shutting your locker and turning away from the girl resting against the lockers. You begin walking down the hall, but don't get too far before she has gotten a tight grip on your arm, stopping you from slipping away.

When she turns you around to face her and you find yourself locked into her pleading green eyes, you lose it. Tears make their way to the brim of your eyes and she notices immediately. Her eyebrows knit together as you drop your head to avoid the embarrassment that is about to come.

Before anything else happens, she has you by your wrist and is pulling you behind her. You two weave in and out of the masses of people that are pushing in the opposite direction, but Lauren stays strong and fights her way through.

Once you get through the crowd, she has you by your hand, your fingers intertwined as she pulls you into the nearest empty classroom. The lights are off and the desks are bare. Leaving complete and total silence to lurk around you and your girlfriend, making the tension that much more evident. The light coming from the windows allows your tears to be dimly lightened enough for her eyes to catch the small glare resting under your eyes.

She stands in front of you, her hand still tangled securely in yours as she reaches up with the pad of her thumb to wipe them away. You don't let her. You turn your head away as soon as her thumb connects with your face and you immediately regret it, but tell yourself that it makes it easier.

She sighs, running a worried hand through her dark brown waves, causing them to look disheveled. She is worried, mostly because you aren't looking at her and you always do that. You always try to talk things out instead of ignoring each other. Now that you think about it, saying she is worried might be an understatement.

"I... did I do something wrong," she asks, stuttering over her words nervously. Her eyes are desperately trying to find yours, but you can't even look at her.