Chapter 13- She has something up her sleeve!

Hi. I've posted a new chapter early for all of you because after christmas I have exams. The month of February is basically a nightmare in terms of exams for Irish people!

I sat in front of the computer with my eyes stinging. I had been at this for three hours already and I was having no joy. Well, I didn't really expect to see results. I mean, I'm not a computer nerd.

Before leaving school Ali handed me a name for a site that dealt with hackers.

She said to me; "Put my phone number in and see if you can find the culprit." 

"Don't worry, I will. Nobody is going to get away with this."

I had come from from school absolutely determined. I was going to find the culprit behind this but after spending two hours doing this I just didn't know.

I kept hitting brick walls. Whoever did this really knew their stuff. I wondered how someone this experienced could have a grudge against a school girl.

I heard a knock on my bedroom door and I silently groaned to myself. I was not in the mood for people at the moment.

“Come in”; I say. I couldn’t exactly tell whoever it was to get the hell away from me but believe me I really wanted to.

Mum opens the door quietly and gives me a little smile. I find myself smiling at her. Mum and Dad are good to me and I know that I’m lucky to have parents like them. Most parents are a lot stricter than they are and they would have punished their child, no questions asked.

I know that Mum and Dad care about me enough to get all the answers from me and then draw up a conclusion. The one thing that they ask of me is that I’m honest to them and for the most part I am.

Mum was so sweet when I arrived home. I arrived home in a huff and Mum knew not to bother me for a little while.

Now she was upstairs, outside my door and I had no choice but to let her in. She stands awkwardly at the door for a moment and then decides to sit down on my bed. She starts to talk.

“I remember when we bought this quilt. It was three years ago and we were at the annual county fair in Maine. You used to hate going up to Maine to visit Grandma. You were always more of a city girl.”

“I know and I feel so bad. I would visit Grandma more but you know how difficult the situation is.”

“I do honey. I can actually still remember your face at that fair. You looked as if you were sucking lemons. Your father and I tried everything to cheer you up but we were failing miserably. Then Rachel took you to the market there and she bought you the quilt. I can still see the glow in your eyes when you saw the quilt. You fell in love with it.”

“I know Mum. I still love it. It was probably the only selfless thing that Rachel’s ever done.”

“Polly, don’t be too hard on Rachel. Your father let it slip to Grandma about what happened today and she told Rachel. Rachel asked me if she could come down to see you.”

“I don’t want to see Rachel. She’s the one that chose to turn her back on us; it wasn’t the other way around.”

“I understand how your feeling. Rachel is so sorry about it. She says that she was young and foolish and she shouldn’t have made that mistake. She’s in a really good place now though. She’s taken a course in the local college and she’s seeing a doctor called Doug. Grandma says that he’s a good influence on her.”

“Yeah, I’ll believe that when I see it. Rachel has only ever looked out for number one. She doesn’t care about us.”

“She does care about us. You just have to give her a chance to prove herself to you. She’s really worried about you. We all are.”