He only got a couple things since he had lost his appetite. He sat down at the first, empty table he saw. "I'm sorry for your loss." He looked up to one of his grandparents friends that he didn't know personally, say. He simply nodded with a barely noticeable smile and thanked him.

He stabbed the chicken and dressing from his plate and shoved it in his mouth slowly. Adonte chewed in a similar pace, slow, as he looked at the other tables that were filled with people. His grandmother took a seat across from him and he looked back down, putting more food on his silverware to put in his mouth.

He stopped chewing and looked up again as the seats beside him became occupied. He looked both ways seeing Aaron and Samantha sitting beside him. He put his fork down and leaned back in his chair, tucking his lips.

"You've grown up son." Aaron says first and pat against his knee, finally being able to hold back his emotions since the devastating news. Adonte moved his leg causing Aaron's hand to fall off.

"Yeah, that's kind of what kids do." Don mumbled, placing a few of the stray grapes into his mouth. Samantha sighed, pushing her curls behind her ear quickly as she grabbed Adonte hand, rubbing it gently beneath hers.

"I know you probably hate us baby but we had to do what we had to do. We was always going to come back! We tried to call and send you gifts as we much as we could. The calls fell off but. . we're still working on your behalf Adonte. We're really proud of you and I can't believe I have a big, handsome seventeen year old."

Samantha stated, a couple of tears rolling down her cheeks as she looked into Adonte's eyes. He looked back, not knowing how to feel about it all. It was just too much for him to bare. He shook his head and looked away.

"We're so sorry son. We have good news though. We're moving back. Our job is allowing us to stay in California for all our business deals. We'll get to rekindle our relationship by spending more time together." Aaron inquired proudly, hoping Don would be happy just as much as they were.

Still Adonte said nothing. He still didn't know how to feel about it. He knew an emotion was brewing inside him but whether it was anger or happiness was still up for questioning. His dad sighed, reaching on his keychain and pulled off a car key.

"We also got you a car." Adonte looked at the key then him as he held it up towards him. Samantha rubbed the nape of Adonte's neck with a smile, hoping she'd get to see him smile again like he used to when he was little and got a gift.

How'd his face would light up to the sight of things such as toy cars. How'd he glide them against the floor and up the walls, a wide smile plastered to his face the entire time. How'd he hug her so tightly around her neck from being thankful.

"We know it doesn't make up for the time Don but it's a start right?" His mom grabbed the key and handed it to him, putting her hand around his so he would ball it around the key.

"We're still your parents Adonte. We love you." That's when Adonte clenched his jaw and scoffed, shaking his head.

"My parents are Vivian and Leroy. My dad was buried today. You're just a sperm donor and you just birth me." Don said through gritted teeth, holding back waterworks.

"Adonte-" Vivian tried to warn but she still understood -she knew the choices they made with Adonte weren't the wisest.

"No grandma. It's not fair. You can't just leave out of someone's life for so long and expect the title of a parent. Not saying you can't ever but right now? No. I don't feel no love y'all are trying to convince me you have for me."

"You weren't there when my voice started cracking, when there was changes in my body and thinking. You weren't there when I'd fall off my skateboard trying to learn. Where were you when my life was in danger with Uncle Cardel? Where were you when I had homework? Where were you when I got into my first fight? When I wondered could men cry? When I was sad, happy, confused, lonely, where were you two?"

Adonte felt the tears roll down his face through his rant as their emotions were getting the best of them as well -Vivian included cause she knew it hurt Adonte much deeper than he's ever expressed. It hurt his parents because even through their neglecting actions, they hoped he wouldn't feel such a negative way towards them but understand instead.

"That's what I thought." He mumbled, wiping his face and placed the key back in his biological father's hand. "You can take your gift back. I don't take things from strangers, that's what my pop Leroy taught me. Maybe when I feel like you two's son again, I'll accept it." Was his last words before he slid back in his chair, rising from it.

Adonte left the table and walked to the door quickly, pushing them outward. He breathed in the fresh air as he thumbed a taxi. He climbed inside before he could be caught and informed the driver on where to go.

After fifteen minutes, the car slowed and Don paid the lady twenty five dollars for the short ride. They both end up thanking each other as he stepped out and walked up to the house, noticing no cars were in the driveway.

He walked up the steps and knocked on the door, looking around behind him as he blew out a breath. The door begin to unlock as it was opened with Isla standing there. She looked at him as he turned to her and did the same, leaning forward and brought her into a hug.

"How was it?" She whispered, knowing today was definitely a hard day for him dealing with his grandfather's funeral. He leaned his head against her shoulder.

"My parents showed up." Isla pulled back from him and looked into his eyes, trying to read him by them. "I kind of went off on them. I couldn't compose myself Is. . i-it.. they just tried to come back like they never left."

Isla slanted her lips to the side and moved him to the side, pushing the front door closed. She locked it back and grabbed both of Adonte's hands, looking up at him as he stared back. He loved how their untitled relationship was going -he couldn't wait until that confidence to make her officially his came over him.

"Care to calm me down?" He asked but looked down, not wanting to see her expression to his slightly pushy question. Isla raised his face back up so that their eye contact reconnected then she leaned into him, pressing their lips against each other forcefully.

He gripped her sides and lifted her up. She instinctively wrapped her legs around his torso as he carried her up to her room and was sure to lock the door behind himself -though the house was empty for now.