f i f t e e n

❝ Good Boy ❞____15

Good Boy
____
15

"A junior by the name of Kain Douglass was arrested for a rape charge. He attended David Starr Jordan High School and the victim says she was taken advantage of in the girl's locker room shower after a school's tennis game. Douglass has been sent to Juvenile Jail until he is of age for federal prison. That is, depending on if he's found guilty in his trial in four weeks."

Adonte kept his head down as he swept the floor carefully, listening to the news broadcast about his friend. It, along with the other things that's been going on, has been hard to swallow and believe. He kneeled down and held the dustpan tightly as he swept the trash into it then stood to throw it away. He looked up at the TV as the woman was still discussing Kain.

"The victim wished for her name and face to not be revealed but she is truly traumatized. It's sad that young men think they can do this and get away with it. I've personally have had a lot of women in my life who has been victims, or should I say survivors. It is no joke or laughing matter, it's sick. I'll praise the day when President Bush makes it an illegal act. In other news.."

Adonte reached up to the buttons of the tube television and flipped the channel to a soap opera -having enough of news for one day. He had a very, very long shift and the last thing he wanted to hear was continuous negativity. He looked around and none of the customers seemed phased by the switch so he was good.

"Don!" Adonte carried the broom and dustpan with him to the back as he pushed the swinging door open with his foot. He placed the items in their rightful place before coming to his grandmother's aid. She pointed up above her, which was out of her reach, to heavy boxes on top of the cabinets. "Get those for me please. Need to roll some more utensils."

Vivian stepped to the side as Adonte took her spot, grabbing the box with both hands and slid it forward first as the weight fell into his hands. He grumbled slightly at the heaviness but still held it in his arms and sat it down gently on the table. Don grabbed a box cutter and cut the tape so he could open it up to both silver and plastic silverware. The subtle sniffling got his attention quickly as he turned around.

His grandma wiped her sudden tears as she continued to cry silently. Adonte sat the cutter down and wrapped his arms around her, hugging her tightly for comfort. "We're going to get through this grandma. I promise. I'm going to be here for you." He whispered in reassurance as stroked her hair with his hand.

She nodded and seemed to still not be able to stop her crying as she grabbed a nearby napkin, dabbing it underneath her eyes. "I remember when he used to lift heavy things to impress me with his strength. He was such a good person." They remained in this position until she had finally got herself together. Adonte let her go and wiped the remaining tears with his thumbs, smiling sightly.