Oh, you got to
Hold on, Hold on
You got to hold on
Take my hand; I'm standing right here
You gotta hold on,"

(End the song)

I sang softly, my thumb tracing circles on the back of her hand. She smiled weakly, and I started to leave, as Rick wanted to talk to Maggie. He patted my shoulder as I walked out.

I sat down and looked out the window. My stomach was hurting; I felt as if something terrible was going to happen. I don't know why, but I could feel it. My thoughts were interrupted as we slowed to a stop.

"What the bitch?" Abraham barked.

Everyone piled up to look out the front window. A man lay on the road, other men standing around him, and a few cars were parked. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Carl looked at me, and I shrugged, just as puzzled as him.

"Enemy close."

Rick walked out of the Rv, and we all followed him, each of us with a gun. Rick put his hands up, showing that he was surrendering, which he obviously wouldn't do. A heavy silence fell between the two groups until a saviour spoke up.

"He's someone who was with a whole lot of someones who didn't listen," he yelled to us, referring to the severely injured man lying in front of them.

"We can make a deal, right here, right now," Rick suggested.

I looked to the other men for an answer.

"That's right; we can. Give us all your stuff," the man spoke.

"We'll probably have to kill one of you. That's just the way it is, but then we can start moving forward on business. All you have to do is listen."

"Yeah, that deal's not gonna work for us. Fact is, I was about to ask for all of your stuff, only I'm thinking I don't have to kill any of you. Any more of you," Rick emphasized.

I shifted my weight to one side and adjusted my grip on my gun.

"Sorry. My deal is the only deal. We don't negotiate," the Savior spoke.

Rick put his hand up, telling us to get back in the Rv.

"Me and my people are leaving," Rick announced.

We all piled in, and I sat down, not letting go of my gun.

"You want to make today your last day on earth?" Rick asked the sick man.

"No. You want to make today your last day on Earth? No, but that is a good thing to bring up. Think about it. What if it's the last day on Earth for you? For someone you love? What if that's true? Maybe you should be extra nice to those people in that RV, 'cause you never know--" the man paused to snap his fingers.

"Just like that. Be kind to each other. Like you said... like it was your last day on Earth."

"You do the same," Rick retorted before getting in the Rv and leaving all of the men behind.

***

We were now parked again. Eugene was going over a map, trying to find a new route.