Chapter Thirty One

Start from the beginning

"How many laws are you breaking by being here?"

"At least five, and besides, I'm only supposed to come down every three days."

"You should follow the rules. Leimar has been helping you and me a lot to make this possible."

"I know. But isn't that a bit contradictory?"

"Shut up."

She chuckled softly and rested her head against mine. I suddenly remembered that I had no idea what time it was, but I didn't want to interrupt by asking. This moment was perfect, and I didn't want to ruin it.

"Hey, Caphriel."

"What?"

"How long have you been sneaking down here?"

"Not long. Maybe a week."

"Don't do anything stupid, alright?"

"Of course not. What would I do?"

I said nothing, which seemed to be enough for her. Secretly I hoped she would just stay safe, no matter what it meant for these visits. I could hold out if it meant I knew she wasn't hurt.

"I don't plan on it."

"Good."

The Second cleared his throat and Caphriel sighed sadly. Panic welled in the pit of my stomach; I suppressed it and slid under the blanket. She laid a hand on my head and pulled me closer.

"It's time for me to go. I've already stretched my time here."

"You should probably just go. Don't get into more trouble."

Caphriel looked hesitant, and I nodded to her. The blanket was a poor substitute but she didn't have to know that, stressed about me as she already was. I could handle myself, I hoped. She and I both had enough troubles to manage.

"I'll be back in three days, dove. I promise."

I nodded and she didn't seem to be convinced by my mask of wellbeing. Her smile widened and she scratched at one ear. She knew something.

"Don't starve yourself just to get me down here. For me."

There went my entire plan. I shrank back in surprise and she nodded knowingly. Her hands tightened, a familiar expression of  bittersweet agony and worry decorating her features.

"Promise me you won't."

"Okay," I meekly breathed.

"Go to sleep. It's midnight."

With that, she was gone. I inhaled and caught a faint whiff of lavender and smoke. Caphriel. Burying my face into the blanket I tried to picture the lumpy fabric as her arms around me. It was suffice to say it didn't work at all. Huddled on the floor, cold air seeping in around me again, I struggled to fall back asleep comfortably. The hallway was quiet but for the sporadic rustling of chains, which I had managed to escape. It took quite some time for my body to recognize that I was exhausted and in need of rest. When I finally did sleep, it was a troubled dream that did no less to diminish my weariness.

I was standing on the edge of a cliff. Wind whistled through the air and swirled the grass at my feet. As I stared out over the ocean below footsteps approached from behind. My dream self knew who it was. The First Elder, of course.

"So. I've caught you at last."

"I could easily jump." My dream self smirked.

"But you won't."

I was glad, for once, that I was facing away from him. It wouldn't do to have him see how much I knew he was right.

"How do you know?"