Chapter 16 - My Unequivocal Worst Date

Dear Internet Diary,

        After the meeting is over, I keep talking to Danny at the courts. "I can't believe so many people want to play sand volleyball for fun! I thought I was the only one." I tell Danny and he laughs. 

        "Yeah. Sorry Melody, but you're most definitely not the only one who just wants to play for fun," he says before laughing again. This time, I join him. "Do you do anything else besides sand volley?" he asks me. Bewilderment covers my features, and he adds on. "Do you race?" he says and my face turns pale. I think back to the night I had to stitch Jace up after a race had gone bad. Jace won fair and square, but the guy's ego must've taken more than a light bruising to feel the need to shoot Jace. 

        "Shut up Danny!" a voice says behind. I know it's not Jace's voice, but I can't help the slight discomfort it brings me. I turn my head and see Stephen standing near me. "Don't you have something better to do? I'm sure Dad would love to hear about you racing again." Stephen says in a threatening voice to Danny. I see Danny's jaw tense up, while the rest of his face is cool. "Whatever Steph. I'm not even racing. Dad took my car, thanks to you, remember? " he says irritably.

       Stephen looks him up a smirk, and retorts with, "Really? I can't remember. So tell us, what's it like having to walk around everywhere you go?" Danny's cool expression is no longer collected, and I look down at his fits. "Yup," I think to myself," he's definitely going to fight him if he doesn't stop." I turn my whole body around and wrap my arm around Stephen's. "We're going to be late to our redo date if we don't leave now. Shall we?" I say dragging him a bit forward. 

        He looks down at me, then at our arms linked together, and then back at me. He smiles at me, and I force myself to smile back at him. Stephen looks back at Danny, and says, "We'll talk about this later." Stephen then moves his hand to mine, and we walk out of the courts. "Sorry, you had to see that. Sibling rivalry, " he tells me as he tries to play off his behavior.

         We reach his car, and I see it's a light grey Hyundai Sonata. He looks back at me and shoots me another smile. Normally, I'd care more about my first date outfit, but since Stephen didn't want to take any chance, we're going to how we are. I get inside the car and see light grey leather seats. Stephen turns on the engine, and we leave the parking lot. 

        He turns on the AC, and the blasting wind is starting to make me a bit cold. Stephen then turns on the music and puts on a band called Parkway Drive. Generally, I don't mind listening to music, but I can't understand the words leaving the singers mouth as he screams them out. "If this song bothers you, I can change it," he tells me, but I shake my head. I don't really feel like talking to him after how he acted towards his brother. I get that racing is dangerous and all, but he didn't have to act like a superior being about it.

         I squirm a bit in my seat and move towards the window. I keep my mouth shut the entire ride to the restaurant. We're going to be having a late lunch. Before heading inside, he asks me if everything is alright. I nod my head and say, "Yeah! Just tired after playing a bit of volleyball." The truth is, we didn't even touch a ball today. At least not Danny and I. We already knew how to serve the ball, so we sat it out and chatted. 

         Entering the restaurant, he takes my hand again, and I give him a meek smile. He tells our hostess '2' and were seated in the middle of the restaurant. I pull my chair out, and Stephen quickly grabs it. He motions for me to sit down, and I do so. He pushes my chair in, as I scoot up. I'm handed the menu, and already know what I'm going to get when I see the words 'Hamburger'. Our waiter comes and says his name is George.