Chapter 15 - Intramurals

Dear Internet Diary,

        By the end of our night together, Tania and I start saying goodbye to everyone. I hug Jenny and Lucas goodbye, as they walk out the door. Jace hugs me as well, but when I let go, he doesn't. He leans his mouth to ears, and whispers "You're stronger than you think Melody." My mouth is slightly ajar after hearing those words being directed to me. And for some reason, I feel as if a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders and been placed upon his. He then unwraps his arms from around me and walks out. Jenny gives him a questioning look as he keeps his eyes trained on the floor.  I can see Jenny starting to question him as Tania closes the door, but I fail to hear anything else, "What was that about?"

        Tania turns to me and says, "Well this was an eventful day." She moves to her desk and puts her chair back in its place. I exhale and tell her I'm hitting the bath after grabbing my belongings. She nods and cleans up after everyone as she told them she would. I offer to help, but she just shakes her head and keeps picking up all the empty cartons. She'd clean up after me, except I'd already thrown my trash away.

        Exiting the shower, I see Tania is Facetiming Lucas, and I shake my head with laughter. I walk on over to my phone and see 2 missed calls and 3 unread messages. I open my messages and see they're all from Stephen. "Shoot!" I say aloud. "I forgot to text him back." Tania stops talking for a quick second and gives me an odd look. I wave her off, and she goes back to talking. I text Stephen a real quick message and put an alarm for 8 a.m. I wrap myself under my covers and fall asleep almost instantaneously. 

        I wake up the next morning and start getting ready for the final meeting. Tania didn't bother waking up and I let her. Thankfully, this is the last meeting and it's over Intramural Sports; I have my mind set on sand volleyball. Once I'm nearly ready, I wake up Tania, and she tries to stay under the covers. I pull her comforter off and she wakes up with a scowl on her face, as I laugh at her expression.

       She gets up from her bed and gets ready for the day. "This is why you don't stay up late talking to your boyfriend," I say laughing. Before she can say anything I'm already out the door with my small duffel bag, phone, Student ID, and athletic wear. I text Stephen to meet me at the Union and walk over there. 

        When I get there, I notice that yet again, hardly anyone is here. I go to the line, and order myself some scrambled eggs with bacon, and take a seat near the entrance. I enjoy my breakfast and decide I need some source of entertainment. I keep reading Perfect Addiction on Wattpad, while I wait for Stephen to get here. 

        Upon his arrival, relief washes over his face as he rushes over to me. Stephen pulls the chair across from me and sits down. "Hey," he says with a cool expression. "Hi," I say back raising my eyebrow. "What's up?" he responds trying to act all cool. "Finishing my breakfast," I tell him noticing the awkward tone in this conversation. 

        "Hey. I'm sorry about the other day. I had to go back home, and left my phone here." I lie to him as my face fills with remorse. "Why don't we try it again?" I suggest out of sympathy. The moment the words leave my mouth he takes my hand in his, and nods his head up and down. "We'll go right after the last meeting," he says before getting up, and joining me as I throw my trash away.

        We walk to the auditorium and sit near the front. I try to sit in the front row, but Stephen shakes his head since he wants some privacy. We sit in the fourth row, and when Tania, Lucas, and Jace try to join us, Jace and Stephen have their own little stare down. Jenny is using the bathroom since Tania informs me by mouthing the words. I interrupt by asking Stephen a question, and when notices his defeat he frowns visibly. It's not like I was trying to make him lose their stare down on purpose, I just wanted them to stop. 

        Thankfully, Mr. Davis starts off the meeting with his usual amount of eager. This meeting, unlike the others, is short and to the point. After his brief speech, we all went our separate ways. Well, except Stephen and I. He wouldn't stop walking behind me until I reached the courts. And once we were there, I had a hard time assuring him I'd still be here after the first sand volleyball game.

        I blow out a deep breath, as I clear my mind. Before I can walk over to my future sand volleyball group, a guy wearing a white t-shirt and black gym shorts walks up to me. He has tan skin and is around 5' 10.  "I'm sorry your boyfriend's such a clingy douche," he says as he moves to walk next to me. I look up at him with shocked eyes and correct him. "Sorry, but he's not my boyfriend. I don't have one.

        He gives me a smile as we join the rest of the group. "Good. You deserve better than him." I thank him and try to focus on what the team Captain is saying. They have a big shirt that says 'CAPTIAN' on it, hence my assumption. The captain is just going over a simple procedure, and describing the game itself. "Boring." I think.

        "I'm Danny," he says as he extends his hand out. I shake it with mine, and say, "Melody." "If Stephen ever starts being his normal clingy sophomore self, tell me and I'll tell him to back off," Danny tells me. I don't bother hiding my confusion and he clarifies. "He's my stepbrother." I make an understanding noise and nod my head. "I didn't know he was a sophomore," I say to myself in my mind. "He didn't even tell me the other night. Maybe he'll tell me today. Maybe."

Sincerely,

        Melody N. Ravenna